Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Generator riddle?

I'm with Robert on this one, I would bet the generator is sucking air into the through hull, losing raw water cooling flow and then tripping the overheat sensor or raw water pressure sensor. Could be a bad impeller but it could also be the nature of the beast depending on the generator and where the raw water through-hull is located.
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

That seems to be what happens with my 8K Westerbeke. When it's rocking and rolling the generator shuts down and the last time the impeller disintegrated.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I wonder if any non-OEM scoops are involved in any of these.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Been there, after chasing down all manner of fuel delivery problems, I hired a mechanic. I was the over-rev limiter switch.

It's a magnetic contact that was dirty and corroded. Shined it up, reinstalled, DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Change the impeller. Just a guess, but could be a pickup problem allowing an overheat shutdown. You may recall numerous posts about heads not picking up underway. Too much oil? Again, guessing.
    Got to go with raw water impeller - And when you do that, open up the heat exchanger cleanout cap and flush it out, because if you're having same issue I was (and it sounds like it) my impeller looked like rubber hamburger. My challenge was that I had to get a super-duty penetrating oil to eat thru the paint on the heat exchanger cap, but once that happened I was able to clean exchanger out and run fresh water thru it to restore full water flow.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Changed the fuel filter. It did not look too bad but the level was down below top of the filter. Changed it, topped it off and good so far. Wonder if there was a problem with the gasket or T handle O ring. Both looked fine that I took off.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

If you have air in the racor you have an air in the fuel issue . If you do not have air you may have another issue. If it’s overheating you’d be able to wait and restart. If the fuel level in the racor was down, then you can indeed slosh what’s left around in rough seas and get a shutdown but it would not restart without priming ......Pat