Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for 43 DC

I've been looking for a mid to early 1980's 43' DC. I was trying to find one near SE VA, but no luck. Now have expanded search to Mid Atlantic/East coast. Looking for older one that needs TLC (sweat equity) on my part, and hence lower price.

Re: Looking for 43 DC

checkout search www.searchtempest.com and plug in hatteras. i saw this one on craigslist the other day

https://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/...217212121.html

That's a nice boat, in the pics, with low hours. Well worth looking at. Also in FW if it's in Richmond area.

Yes very nice looking. Which brings up another point: Better get boat for low price and do work myself or pay higher price with work already done?

100% get the better boat for the "higher" price. I paid half that for my 43dc and have more in it than that one already and a long way to go.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

i would have loved to look at that boat, but with covid and my wife's disease, i'm locked into looking within driving distance only. missed some beautiful boats due to range... this one looks nice too. good luck

Not in Richmond: owner lives there, boat has been in Hampton for 15 years, and looks it. Owner, I think, is looking to flip the boat (after lots of work, i.e. painting, floors, engines) and wants lots of money to pay for all that he has done. This reminds me of online dating: when was that photo taken?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    100% get the better boat for the "higher" price. I paid half that for my 43dc and have more in it than that one already and a long way to go.
    Absolutely buy the better boat if you can. On our very nice 46 this year I spent $9800 teak and holly, $5000 refinish all woodwork (light sand and coat only, was worth it), $3800 materials/labor on carpet and reupholster couch (big couch) and about $1500 in goodies like knobs, rubber door bumpers, etc. So about $20K for what amounts to the same exact boat but more to our liking. It takes a lot to get the duckling looking good again whether preference or it really needs it. Same goes for mechanicals. Find a boat in fantastic mechanical shape (that's what we got and still had to invest some boat bucks). Worth a bit of a premium. WAY cheaper than restoring and rebuilding. Clean engine room? Also worth a premium. My 34 has been let go since repower back in 98. Not this year but probably next we will need to lift each engine, restore ER, and reinstall engines one at a time. No other way to do it right.

Like the man says, you can pay me now or you can pay me later!

Seriously though you need to really decide if you would be happier with a restoration and all the $ and sweat that goes into it or buy a better boat and do little projects to make it better and maintain it. Oscarvan can chime in on this. He just bought a super nice MY but continually is working on it. And is enjoying it as he does. Give it some serious thought, pull the trigger on whatever is decided, and then don't look back. It's all good!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I would also add to get a boat that was actually used. There's a big difference between a boat that was used as a day boat to run up the river 15 miles on a nice weekend day and one that has traveled.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

The boat found on Craigs list sold yesterday (not to me), so I keep looking.