Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: The start of the winter projects

These look very nice. Btw, since the rails came natural from the factory without any coating, what was the intendeed care and maintenance? Oiling them once a month?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

The rails look great , I have seen boats with rails painted white , I think this takes a lot of value out of a boat. You mentioned bleaching, this is something that I should have done . Does it change any dark or black areas to natural teak color?
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    The rails look great , I have seen boats with rails painted white , I think this takes a lot of value out of a boat. You mentioned bleaching, this is something that I should have done . Does it change any dark or black areas to natural teak color?
    The Bleaching removes the gray mostly. It doesn’t change the grain color, so if the wood has naturally dark grain that will not change. You can see in some of the photos how the three pieces may be different and they take the varnish just a little different. I think it’s got a real classy look. A friend of mine when a different direction with his rails. After he stripped and bleached, he applied three coats of epoxy and then sprayed three coats of Alex seal clear. He feels that this is going to outlast the Varnish 10 to 1. And he’s probably right. So we’re going to do a test and see.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    These look very nice. Btw, since the rails came natural from the factory without any coating, what was the intendeed care and maintenance? Oiling them once a month?
    I was unaware that they came and un-coated. Maybe one of the members who own Hatteras is for a lot longer than I could answer that question. I certainly like to Varnish to look.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Heat guns work great on removing varnish including 2 part finishes . The thicker the finish the better using heat . I have covers for our rails , but I am not sure that it helps that much .
    I have covers for mine as well. I think one thing that really helps/works is to put a clear water repellent on the covers at least once or twice a year. Once the fabric loses it’s waterproof coating the water just sits on the surface and helps to destroy the finish.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I was unaware that they came and un-coated. Maybe one of the members who own Hatteras is for a lot longer than I could answer that question. I certainly like to Varnish to look.
    Mine were uncoated, and I am the second owner. It lived its life mostly under cover (up north) but the Florida sun has been harsh. Maybe Hatteras used a light coating of something, but nothing that would leave a residue. I don't think any of the wood was varnished.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Well I’m finally done and the handrails are installed. They look fantastic if I do say so myself. Here are a few photos.I ended up putting nine coats of varnish on. The photos below are before and after shots.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Finally done
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks great Rusty, to bad you have to put covers over them, but with your climate I’m sure that’s a good idea. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Super job!.... looks FANTASTIC!

Had mine done over the summer as well and I also have covers that do seem to help.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL