Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: The start of the winter projects

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Smokin Hot!! Lookin Sharp!
    From one Rusty to another Rusty Thanks.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I’ve always called it a bung cutter but you are correct it’s a plug cutter. And Oscar I had to borrow a friends truck that has a rack that’s 25 feet long. This Saturday we’re going to secure it from front to back so it doesn’t whip as I’m driving and take it home where I can apply the coats of varnish in a sealed environment. I wanted to look like a piece of furniture when I’m done.
    Cool..... I remember my dad doing the final coats on my wood Vaurien racing dinghy in the early 70's..... In the garage, wet floor, boxer shorts only and my mother's shower cap on his head.... wish I had a picture of that.... The quality of his work has been my (unattainable) standard ever since. It was immaculate.

PO of Lady Kay V was pretty fanatical about it too. Mine look very nice. And, I'm under roof so I hope to skate with a rough-up and top coat every year for a few years......

Sistership of my Vaurien....
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Heat guns work great on removing varnish including 2 part finishes . The thicker the finish the better using heat . I have covers for our rails , but I am not sure that it helps that much .
    Last edited by jmooney; 10-29-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Port side is sanded, plugged and bleached. Starboard is sanded and plugged. A little more sanding then bleach tomorrow morning then the head home for 10 coats of varnish.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The following is sanded and bleached
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Excellent work....nothing makes a vintage Hatt stand out more than those rare and beautful wood rails.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Update: I’ve brushed on 9 coats as of this morning. No runs, no drips no errors. I’m now going to let the rails cure for about a week before I transport them back to the boat for installation. All new screws that have been polished, stanchions are also polished.also and ready to go. Once installed I’ll show those photos. Fun project.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

COVID has got us down to polishing screw heads. I bet they’re spectacular. Nice work, Rusty.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Beautiful!!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Varnishing wood that needs it is one of the most rewarding things there is. This will POP for sure.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay