Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The start of the winter projects

I decided to remove the forward handrails on my 53 and take them down to bare wood. Although the tops were in real good shape the bottoms looked horrible. The best way to do that was to remove them from the boat. While removing about a dozen and a half screws snapped off at the head. Once I had the rails off and on the makeshift workbench I used a bung cutter and went along side each of the broken screws. Once the broken screws were all out I started to sand with 60 grit sandpaper and worked all the way down to 220. The reason I started with 60 grit was somebody had put a few coats of epoxy on sometime ago. It Took me about four hours on the starboard side but it turned out really well. I’m gonna take them home and put 10 coats of varnish on them in my garage so I can keep the bugs off of them. I’ll post photos when I’m done.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: The start of the winter projects

That's a big piece to take home.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

excuse my ignorance with wood working tools, but is a bung cutter the same as a plug cutter?

I’ve always called it a bung cutter but you are correct it’s a plug cutter. And Oscar I had to borrow a friends truck that has a rack that’s 25 feet long. This Saturday we’re going to secure it from front to back so it doesn’t whip as I’m driving and take it home where I can apply the coats of varnish in a sealed environment. I wanted to look like a piece of furniture when I’m done.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

thanks, wasn't sure.
    its going to look very nice when you're done.

I've had my bow rails off twice in the last 17 years. Its definitely the best way to get a top notch job on them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I've had my bow rails off twice in the last 17 years. Its definitely the best way to get a top notch job on them.
    Thanks Sky, I have covers for the rails so I’m hoping that this will last till I can boat any longer.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Fireproofing the boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Fireproofing the boat.