Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Swim Ladder Rehab

Appears PO varnished the steps on the swim ladder which didn't look too good. When I tried to take them off to strip them, they started splitting and coming apart. So I decided to replace them. Teak is pretty $$, and the life expectancy of this ladder is measured in years not decades as I want to eventually expand the platform and install a more "senior oriented" means of getting down there.

So for now I decided to fabricate new steps out of Iroko. $115 to my door for the needed amount. Some quality time with the saws and drill press and it's presentable again. Put some teak oil on it which I intend to do regularly to keep it looking fresh. All that's left is putting the whole thing back on the boat.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-28-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Swim Ladder Rehab

And the rest of the pictures....
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Nice work!
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Looks great!

Of course it looks great. You did the drilling on a Rolls-Royce drill press. They are difficult to find.

HAHA! Everything back in place. We're happy with how the name spacing worked out......

(Yes, I just pumped out, listing to port. Need more lead.....)
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Different subject, but what ladder do you use to get on and off the boat from the side doors?
    I ave a 1973 38' FBDC and the original ladder that clips on the side broke.
    Thanks.

We have 2 Marquipt boarding ladders with the two brackets on the hull. One is a vertical with three steps, the other the ramp/steps with the 4 wheels under it. We use one or the other depending on the situation. One place we dock frequently is very low and I hang the vertical just to be able to get on and off the boat during docking/shore power hookup etc. Then we put the rolling ramp on.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Appears PO varnished the steps on the swim ladder which didn't look too good. When I tried to take them off to strip them, they started splitting and coming apart. So I decided to replace them. Teak is pretty $$, and the life expectancy of this ladder is measured in years not decades as I want to eventually expand the platform and install a more "senior oriented" means of getting down there.

So for now I decided to fabricate new steps out of Iroko. $115 to my door for the needed amount. Some quality time with the saws and drill press and it's presentable again. Put some teak oil on it which I intend to do regularly to keep it looking fresh. All that's left is putting the whole thing back on the boat.
    The new steps look great. Did the boards come with the grooves in them or did you have to cut them? Where did you buy the Iroco?
    Doug Troughton
    1986 Hatteras 53 MY
    Hull# HATAM635H586

I put in the grooves on a table saw. Got it here:

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/iroko-african-teak/iroko-44-lumber.html

I ordered by size and it computes the BF. There was plenty and then some.

I used the 4/4 which is thinner than what was on there. Makes drilling a little trickier as there is less room for error. I pinched the brackets that hold them in slightly in a vice. The treads have no give so they're plenty strong and it looks good.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay