Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

C-18's to bridge information

I have a 2006 Sport Fish 50ft Hatteras with C18s. The boat is in Galveston, I want to receive data other than normal gauge reads on my helm, for example fuel usage. Do any of you know a tech company that can do the integration in the area?

Ron Torretti

Re: C-18's to bridge information

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    I have a 2006 Sport Fish 50ft Hatteras with C18s. The boat is in Galveston, I want to receive data other than normal gauge reads on my helm, for example fuel usage. Do any of you know a tech company that can do the integration in the area?

Ron Torretti
    Get the new Cat touch screens. They should work with the older system. Call Cat and tell them what you have.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

2006 C-18 ECM's should output J1939 data that feed the CAT MPD's at the helm.

Cabling and adapters are available to daisy chain from the MPD's to a J1939 to Nema 2k adapter which would then hook into the boats N2k network.
    Maretron is one of the main players for what you need, there are others too.
    Your MFD may offer a few choices to utilize the data but you might need something more sophisticated.

Recently some high end MFD's became available that accept J1939 data directly so you could go that route also.

We added Maretron's black box computer that runs their Vessel View software which has a ton of capabilities.
    Really do not have ours doing anything dramatic just yet, need to spend a weekend with the laptop doing set up.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Cricket is right. You have many options with the J1939. I was trying to keep it simple. Here is the new Cat solution:

https://www.cat.com/en_US/articles/c...-displays.html

One screen can have info for both engines. Available in 7 or 13".
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-27-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post

Ron Torretti
    Your C18's should have the displays at the helm that will run through almost all the info you would need. What readings do you want? Are you simply wanting them on your mfd?