Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

obsolete alternator?

I am researching what alternators were used on my Chrysler 426s.
    The manual has a bunch of info but no model number.

I saw on the sierra Chrysler inboard parts catalogue that their model is 18-5954, but that product is no longer offered.
    On the sierra site, it says their part is also for Chrysler alternator 3527501.
    When I google that, I see a number of marine alternators, ranging from 60 amps to 90 amps. The original alternator is 35 amps.

Since I have one engine turning L and the other turning right, do I need a different alternator for the L turning engine?
    Any issues with me upping the amps on the alternator? Will I have to upgrade the voltage regulator?

Thanks,
    Akin
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: obsolete alternator?

There are a number of modern, replacement alternators that can spin in either clockwise or counterclockwise location without any changes whatsoever. Also, I'd suggest replacing alternators with something larger and equipped with internal solid state voltage regulators.

Had great luck with Motor City Reman replacement, one wire marine alternators. They can be clcoked in many different orientations and seem to be very reliable.

Replaced original 45 amp alternators & external regulators on our Chris craft with 100 amp, one wire units. Perfect fit and lots of juice!

https://www.motorcityreman.com/high-...SAAEgKVePD_BwE

If you're not sure, give them a call. They're extremely helpful.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

not to hijack, what model# did you use on the 427 chris crafts?
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

4. Re: obsolete alternator?

You can also have it rebuilt from a reputable auto-electric company. Not sure where you live but In Connecticut I use Joe's Auto Electric in Danbury, CT.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUE_NAME View Post
    not to hijack, what model# did you use on the 427 chris crafts?
    Used the 1 wire Delco style units which have mounting ears common to the Prestolite alternators. Been awhile but I think the only modification made for these to fit perfectly was to remove a small portion of the mounting ear as it interfered with adjustment travel. Used a hand hacksaw and then cleaned them up with a file.

Year seven on those alternators and they work great.

https://www.motorcityreman.com/100amp1wides.html
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Used the 1 wire Delco style units which have mounting ears common to the Prestolite alternators. Been awhile but I think the only modification made for these to fit perfectly was to remove a small portion of the mounting ear as it interfered with adjustment travel. Used a hand hacksaw and then cleaned them up with a file.

Year seven on those alternators and they work great.

https://www.motorcityreman.com/100amp1wides.html
    thanks, would like to lose that external regulator.
    now if we could just find the engineer that thought the circulating pump pulley was a good idea and beat him about the head.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUE_NAME View Post
    now if we could just find the engineer that thought the circulating pump pulley was a good idea and beat him about the head.
    Careful, he might be on here!
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Careful, he might be on here!
    if he is, he's laughing at his legacy joke. "let's make them use spanner wrenches to adjust the belt, that oughta draw blood, heh heh heh"
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN