Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Varnishing the Rails & Pulpit

So next week we start on a new project.... varnishing the rails. I have found a super high UV Australian varnish that is holding up to its claims on some rear deck timber test parts.

Q. What is the easiest way to seal the metal/wood join at the end caps? I am not taking the metal end caps off as I had previously replaced sections of stainless rail damaged by a previous owner and did not like that job at all.

Q. The pulpit teak decking is also unvarnished. I am wondering I varnish over the black caulking or just to the caulking edge of each strip of wood?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Varnishing the Rails & Pulpit

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Q. The pulpit teak decking is also unvarnished. I am wondering I varnish over the black caulking or just to the caulking edge of each strip of wood?
    PO varnished over it all. I do not dislike the look and so far it's holding up. That said, I live under roof.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We just finished varnishing all the teak . I filled any gaps with west system epoxy, slightly thickened. Some epoxy is advertised as flexible, this probably would be best . I replaced the teak on my pulpit a few years ago. I planned to oil it and not varnish. I just let it fade to grey .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Name of the varnish?

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    We just finished varnishing all the teak . I filled any gaps with west system epoxy, slightly thickened. Some epoxy is advertised as flexible, this probably would be best . I replaced the teak on my pulpit a few years ago. I planned to oil it and not varnish. I just let it fade to grey .
    When going that route it is recommended to use a thinned (penetrating) epoxy before the filling.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I got my description wrong for you.

The pulpit already has original teak and caulking. I just wish to sand varnish. Do I varnish over the existing caulking? Or varnish just the wood planks?

https://www.norglass.com.au/products...marine-varnish
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Don't varnish over the caulking. Mine was that way when I bought the boat and that is where it failed. I varnish the rails but use oil on the pulpit. Its just too slippery with varnish on it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thank you Sky.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

I too need to redo the teak on my pulpit. My question is, is the teak necessary? Don't get me wrong, I love the way that it looks, but do I need it on there?

I'm somewhat playing around with the idea of removing it and replacing with a plastic (Azek) board and being maintenance free. This is the plan with the ladder treads to the bridge as well.

Any negatives, besides looks, of going that route?

Someone mentioned what varnish, I used Awlspar varnish 10 coats, followed by Awlbrite 10 coats . Looks great , but guys on the forum advised using Awlwood , much less coats and it seems easier. Awlbrite can sag and run easily. But that’s what sandpaper is for.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL