Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Distributor springs

I was replacing the points on my distributors and the springs under the plate look pretty old. Should I be replacing them??? Original Chrysler distributors.
    Thanks in advance.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: Distributor springs

Yes. Might try Summit Racing for replacement springs.

If the springs are weak or rusty and stuck together that will affect ignition advance under load.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Not sure if they are still around, but I used to get springs for the old Prestolite distributors on my Chris from a place called Obsolete Parts Inc.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

4. Re: Distributor springs

The best things I ever did to my 327F Chris Craft engine was to install a DUI marine ignition distributor and replace the Carter AFB with an Edelbrock carburetor. I don't know if there is a DUI marine version that fits a Chrysler RB engine. One for a 440 should drop right into your 426. If you want to explore this further, Summit Racing or Jegs can answer any of your questions.

I have seen lots of 440 marine engines but never a 426. Nice engines.
    Last edited by kelpy; 10-27-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Yup, What he said. I was installing the Pertronics electronic ignition in my 327F Chris engines when I replaced the springs. Tremendous difference in performance. I think Kelpy and I may have been separated at birth.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    The best things I ever did to my 327F Chris Craft engine was to install a DUI marine ignition distributor
    +1 on the DUI. installed them on my 427's chris craft fords. push button, start motor. a whole new world with reliability.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN