Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: usage

usage

How many hours per year do you average cruising,traveling or away from the dock ?

Re: usage

I am doing at least 3 oil changes a year as we travel from the Keys to New England.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

On a normal cruising season of perhaps February to April I usually put about 100 hours on the main engines. 150 hours took me from Ft. Lauderdale to Halifax, N.S. and back, one oil change. The generator gets changed every week of continuous running, about once a month if running between marinas. The Phasor generator dipstick is kept full, the engines centered between full and low marks. I almost never have to add oil to anything.

Unfortunately, due to Covid and hurricane damage in the Bahamas the last two years have been limited to the Florida Keys. Fuel is much cheaper and supermarkets have greater choice but the navigation is not as much fun. Still beats the office!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I am doing at least 3 oil changes a year as we travel from the Keys to New England.
    What time of year do you start this journey, and how long does it typically take you including any stopovers?

Ft. Lauderdale to Halifax NS and return to Ft Lauderale is over 4000 miles in 150 hrs? Is that correct?

We just did Long Island Sound to Jacksonville in about a month, stopping for a couple of days break here and there. We are going to have Lamb’s sort out some repairs and then head to Marathon in late November or early December.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

It's about 1,700 nmi. one way as I recall. I forgot that we left the boat in Sea Island, GA, on the way back so we could return for Christmas so deduct about 400 nmi. That gives about 3,000 nmi total. We went outside and on plane most of the way. The 150 hours were from the engine Hobbs meters. That gives an average speed of 20 kts. which seems high, but we can go faster. At that stage with newer engines we topped out at a bit more than 23 kts. with full fuel and water, six persons on board, faster as fuel burns off. I do remember running flat out ahead of a hurricane into Chesapeake Bay.

The biggest problem is that the fuel tanks after repower do not get any bigger so the faster you go the shorter the boat's range. I did have a 200 gallon fuel bladder across the stern which was reassuring but a royal pain to move fuel into the tanks.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Over 20 years and two motor yachts, my cruising has ranged from a low of 50 hours underway to a high of 300.

Covid, back surgery, and parental care caused the low years.

Unemployment and divorces caused the high years.

Raising three kids and cruising between their schedules were the fun 200 hour years.

So if you want to use your boat a lot and have fun, get fired and divorced but bring your kids.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with ext)
    Tampa

Bruce , I will take that advice under advisement!!! ha Ha !!