Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zeta

Re: Zeta

Glad you made it OK. So many power company/coop linesmen from around the country have just about relocated to the Gulf. A neighbor of mine talked about his small coop (Pickens, SC) sending 18 guys and 16 trucks in August. After two weeks, they sent another group to relieve the first. Then, they did it again. The trucks ran continuously and a few have just flat worn out. His description of the infrastructure damage was frightening. Just as they returned home to upstate SC, Zeta knocked out power to 40K there. No rest for the weary.

So much misery in the Gulf and little more than rip currents around here. I hope the books aren't balanced all at once in '21. Let us know what we can do to help.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    oh and by the way, i wont stay at the house for another cat 2, it was pretty scary
    It's hard to describe the intensity of a cat 2+ and how much more violent it is than a cat 1. Once the winds hit 90+ it's amazing what they can do and how much sheer power they have. In all the cat1's I've been in I still felt in-control of the situation.

For instance, if something happened and I needed to do something (like pull an anchor, move a dock line...etc) I could do it. In a cat2 you are pretty much at the mercy of mother nature, not much you can do physically other than just attempt to damage control.

In 100mph winds whatever is going to happen, is going to happen, not much you can do to stop it.

I too, do not care to experience any more cat 2's.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Hopedale, LA. Where my boat shed used to be. Sorry for the sideways view.
    Attached Images

IMG_0553.jpgIMG_4661.jpg

Port Fourchon. The photo is not sideways but the camper is
    Attached Images