Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exhuast Elbow Source?

We have a 61MY with 12v71s and just noticed rust under the exhaust elbow before exhaust heads through the wall to mufflers. This is the last bend on the riser to send exhaust out of engine room. Appears to be like 12-14" diameter stainless maybe 30 degree elbow with hoses connecting to it triple clamped.

I have googled and cannot find a supplier?

Any help much appreciated!

Tks!

Dan

Re: Exhuast Elbow Source?

Try D’Angelo exhaust in Ft . Lauderdale . I have the same boat and might need this someday , so let us know how this goes.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Try DeAngelo Marine Exhaust in Florida.

https://deangelomarine.com/
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I have used Marine Exhaust for a couple projects (not on this boat) and was very happy with their quality and customer service.

https://www.marine-exhaust.com/
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Well if it hasn’t already been welded, weld it. Then, after severely cleaning the inside, fill the welded area with JB Weld. That should seal the weld for extra protection. That elbow will never get hot enough to impact the epoxy. This is way quicker, easier and cheaper than replacing something that probably has many years of life to give. Gently inflate a small fender in the exhaust while you’ve got the elbow off the boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: Exhuast Elbow Source?

Is it rusting from the inside out or outside in? Either way, welding is a viable repair procedure if the rest of the elbow is in decent condition. Hot seawater flows through there so the elbow definitely has a finite lifespan. If you find evidence of excessive pitting and corrosion when you remove and inspect the elbow, best to replace. Both sides if they are the same vintage. I use MMX in Fort Lauderdale for my exhaust needs.
    Last edited by kelpy; 10-24-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks for all the info! I will make some calls. I spoke to my welder friend and he thinks it may be repairable. Most of the elbow looks new. It is a small rust spot on the weld where water sits full time on the bottom of it...

Will post end result when We have it!