Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I am so screwed.....

Cornices. So the color was wrong. Yes dear. So I took one down..... The easy way would be to get the staple gun out and put another layer over it. But I had to know.

So I peeled back the layers..... the green, a flower with water damage, some stuffing, white vinyl and then..... varnished mahogany. Holy crap....

This means I have to do it all. The picture shows at least 50 staples of four different sizes removed and it's not done in that section alone. You're looking at 45 minutes. And the wood is not giving them up without a fight.

But there are no staples in the front or the rounded edge at the bottom. And there is mahogany under it. Potentially two 18 foot pieces and the back. Unless there is a joint under there somewhere.

I think I'm going to cut off the fabric and maybe sand down the staples if they are on the back and top only as they will not be visible....

Very very cool, but a metric freaking crap ton of work. Like I said.... I am screwed.
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: I am so screwed.....

If they are like mine the sides are 2 pieces hooked together somehow, I have seen a couple of different connection methods, mine just have a plastic piece that is the same color as the wood. Good luck and they really look good varnished, just to give you a little more work. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks ...... There's some holes I'll have to fill. But I rather have mahogany with "patina".....
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Slow progress. That's three and a half hours right there. And there was blood. No sutures. But it's going to be worth it. I'll be able to use the original screw holes. Looks like they line up with what is there. When the fabric layers started they put some brackets on the back...... The only real damage is the three holes. I'll fill them.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-22-2020 at 02:30 AM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I found an upholstery staple puller speeds it up greatly.

https://www.amazon.com/Osborne-124-S...W7JF2MNE6318DP

I must have pulled a million staples from mine.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

My aft salon and master stateroom were the only mahogony boards, the rest were plywood. So be prepared for or at least check for that.

My mahogony looked great, so we just used a rub on it to give it a nice sheen.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I pulled all of mine off also. The first layer was a leopard print to go with the jungle theme from the previous owner then with white vinyl under that. Most of my staples pulled out with the vinyl. Once the unnecessary holes where plugged I rubbed on teak oil. One of the easiest projects and moved the interior out of the seventies.

Walt Hoover

Mine had no fewer than 5 million staples, and 3 layers of fabric/vinyl/beach weave. Luckily I had a high school kid helping me out at the time, it took him almost a full day of pulling staples to get them all out. Then I went behind him and pull several hundred that he missed. No clue why they thought it was necessary to use so many staples, they were literally overlapping each other.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Well, I see I am not alone. It appears to be a rite of passage...... Thanks for the moral support. And thanks for the puller David! It will be at the house tomorrow..... Too late for the aft one but hopefully it will help for the two long ones! And, I hope I am not disappointed there....
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

My kids are a few month into removing staples from an overzealous upholstery job.
    They started last fall.

So far the only plywood was the master and the salon was all ready wood when we got it.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ