Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel additives for winter storage

Hi putting my boat with Detroit’s in winter storage wondering what additives
    are recommended all advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: Fuel additives for winter storage

I actually have the same question. First winter owning our Hatt. Wondering what fuel stabilizers everyone uses and suggests. Thanks in advance.

I use PowerService Diesel Kleen at every fill up. I think a Cetane booster and lubricity additive like that has some benefits since the new ULSD has less lubricity than what these engines were designed to burn. Other than that, I don't add anything.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Way back when in college I co-op'd for G.E. and the word in the shop was that diesel is far more stable than gasoline. Anyway all I ever added, and on a regular basis was a biocide. Unless I filled with ValvTect diesel at the pump.
    Regards
    Dan

I put Lucas treatment in the tanks to the recommended amount, tanks are usually nearly full. I then drain the racors and secondary filters and fill them all with a mix of 50% diesel, 25% SAE 30 and 25% Lucas treatment. Then the engines are run for one minute to get it into the PT pump and injectors. These are cummins engines and the process was recommended to me by a retired cummins mechanic who is very familiar with them.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I use PowerService Diesel Kleen at every fill up. I think a Cetane booster and lubricity additive like that has some benefits since the new ULSD has less lubricity than what these engines were designed to burn. Other than that, I don't add anything.
    Fuel manufacturers are supposed to include additives to make up for the lost lubricity. Independent field studies have shown they are not always doing that as needed. Power Service Diesel Kleen is now, after decades of denying the need for any additives, the only additive approved by Cummins. This is an issue in the RV world I play in.

That said, the part most affected by the reduced lubricity is the delicate fuel injection pump. Which we don't have.....(If you're running a DD)

I don't add anything while running. An anti gel additive would be indicated when operating in single digits. I do NOT plan on that. As far as a stabilizer, I plan to lay up for maybe three or four months with full tanks. Don't think I need to do anything there either.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-21-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have used different additives before. Stabil, Valvtec and with the change to low sulfur fuel I used Marvel Mystery Oil in a trawler with Perkins 6-354s for the injection pump. Never any fuel problems and storing the boats in Michigan and Wisconsin for the winters. I am now using Star Tron. I have used in my last two boats one with Volvo’s and now with my current boat with DD 6-71 TIBs. I am usually able to buy my fuel from Marinas with Valvtec in fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Exactly.

I think I'm going to have to keep a copy of the fuel quality rant to paste when this comes up again,.. and again,... and again.

Fuel quality in the US since the ULSD standard was implemented is marginal at best. A lubricity and cetane booster is necessary for proper performance and longevity of your engine and fuel system. But no, you don't need a stabilizer for winter layup.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Fuel manufacturers are supposed to include additives to make up for the lost lubricity. Independent field studies have shown they are not always doing that as needed. Power Service Diesel Kleen is now, after decades of denying the need for any additives, the only additive approved by Cummins. This is an issue in the RV world I play in.
    Even if they do additize the fuel to meet the current standard it is still inadequate. Engine manufacturers will not admit that their engine's life and performance will be compromised by commonly available fuels, but fuel injection manufacturers will tell you that. Believe whichever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That said, the part most affected by the reduced lubricity is the delicate fuel injection pump. Which we don't have.....(If you're running a DD)
    That's right, you don't have "a" delicate injection pump in your Detroit,... you have eight. Or however many cylinders you have. Unit injectors are injection pumps. Most other engines have nozzle holders which are commonly mis-referred to as injectors.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    That's right, you don't have "a" delicate injection pump in your Detroit,... you have eight. Or however many cylinders you have. Unit injectors are injection pumps. Most other engines have nozzle holders which are commonly mis-referred to as injectors.
    Precisely. And it’s a bitch to figure which injection pump is the problem on a Detroit.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Diesel kleen every tank, and some biocide added to the last fill of the season. Nothing else needed (even what I’m doing may be considered overkill, and probably is but makes me feel better)
    1969 45C376