Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

15KW Onan MDJF Operating Temperature

I am curious what temperature my 15kw Onan MDJF should be running at. And where should I be checking for this temperature?

I am currently using an I/R gun and my heat exchanger (at the hottest part, aka the raw water outlet side) is running about 185 degrees. If I shoot the side of the engine block I am reading about 200. I always figured that 185 is the sweet spot, is this true? and where should I be checking for correct operating temperature?

Re: 15KW Onan MDJF Operating Temperature

Quote Originally Posted by bwellen View Post
    I am curious what temperature my 15kw Onan MDJF should be running at. And where should I be checking for this temperature?

I am currently using an I/R gun and my heat exchanger (at the hottest part, aka the raw water outlet side) is running about 185 degrees. If I shoot the side of the engine block I am reading about 200. I always figured that 185 is the sweet spot, is this true? and where should I be checking for correct operating temperature?
    I don't have an Onan, but I would suspect you should shoot at the over temp sender. Should be near thermostat housing. That's what I've done on my NL as well as engines.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC