Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1981 Hatteras 43 Convertible Holding tank

All,

I have not been able to locate the waste holding tank on our boat. Can anyone tell me where exactly it would be located in the bilge and the approximate tank capacity?

Also, I was pumping out the tank last weekend to get it ready for winter haul out and I was only able to catch a prime and pump out the waste for about 5 seconds. Almost seems like its clogged. Any thoughts on what might be causing my inability to pump out the tank completely? The boat has a Vacuflush system.

Thanks in advance!

Re: 1981 Hatteras 43 Convertible Holding tank

Guessing you do not have a full set of drawings supplied with your boat. Contact Sams marine with your hull number and purchase the. They will greatly assist you or whoever is working on the boat. Fantastic bit of information that some other brands do not have available. You are in good hands with a “Hat”!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    All, I have not been able to locate the waste holding tank on our boat. Can anyone tell me where exactly it would be located in the bilge and the approximate tank capacity? Also, I was pumping out the tank last weekend to get it ready for winter haul out and I was only able to catch a prime and pump out the waste for about 5 seconds. Almost seems like its clogged. Any thoughts on what might be causing my inability to pump out the tank completely? The boat has a Vacuflush system.Thanks in advance!
    Sounds like the dreaded Hatteras corroded dip tube syndrome that’s like yacht COVID-sooner or later it’s your turn in the box. Fortunately, there’s a spot on video that’ll help you out. Here’s the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nMZIW2dJc
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Follow the hoses and the smell you can’t miss it. Once you find it follow Roberts video it’ll keep you laughing and fixing all at the same time. Once you find it follow Roberts video it is Fun to watch while repairing your issue.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Follow the hoses and the smell you can’t miss it. Once you find it follow Roberts video it’ll keep you laughing and fixing all at the same time. Once you find it follow Roberts video it is Fun to watch while repairing your issue.
    There’s an echo in here
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Could a clog in the vent opening cause an inability to pump the tank out?

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Could a clog in the vent opening cause an inability to pump the tank out?
    Unlikely.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

We had an issue with pump out Previous owner did not use holding but we did on trip to Keys. Had issues pumping out. Long story short we used Campo blue goo RV tank treatment. Dissolved everything that was solid and pumped right out.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

1973 42c may have similar location, right in the middle between the stringers ahead of the water tank. I have a hatch in the side cabin that gives access to the top of the tank and fittings.

Walt Hoover

I have a 79 43C. Access to mine is in the master suite next to the berth (I have one queen berth, not the twin singles). I had the same problem several years ago and had to replace the pickup tube. Its been a while, but I recall using a plastic pipe and sliding it inside the remains of the original pickup tube. I think I may have used a plumbing drain pipe with a flared end and it fit perfectly.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau