Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Replacing original onboard battery charger

Had trouble with my 31 year old Sentry 60 amp charger last year. My repair guys talked me into sending to Sentry for repair. Cost about $400 and has worked perfectly since. I have 2 banks of 3 group 31 12 volt batteries instead of 2 8-Ds. Both function as start batteries with one handling house. I have a combiner switch also. Use the generator whenever we are away from shore power too. Not sure I want to install inverter with the requirements to do so properly. As far as new multi stage chargers I have heard both good and bad. For now I am satisfied with my old school Sentry and know the factory will still repair. Their website discusses repair of older chargers. Lots of different ways to go about this and just depends on your preference. I would think with the 8 Ds you would want at least 60 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Thelog,

I have been looking at the same charger you purchased. How was the install? Straight forward?

Thanks!
    Very straight forward, and has been totally hands off for over 5 years. One of only a very few things I can say that about on this boat.
    Vic
    1978 Hatteras 46C Hull #127
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Thanks for the info. I will look into this as an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmcruiser View Post
    Had trouble with my 31 year old Sentry 60 amp charger last year. My repair guys talked me into sending to Sentry for repair. Cost about $400 and has worked perfectly since. I have 2 banks of 3 group 31 12 volt batteries instead of 2 8-Ds. Both function as start batteries with one handling house. I have a combiner switch also. Use the generator whenever we are away from shore power too. Not sure I want to install inverter with the requirements to do so properly. As far as new multi stage chargers I have heard both good and bad. For now I am satisfied with my old school Sentry and know the factory will still repair. Their website discusses repair of older chargers. Lots of different ways to go about this and just depends on your preference. I would think with the 8 Ds you would want at least 60 amps.