Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Replacing original onboard battery charger

Agree on making sure the batteries are good, first, and THEN a new, smart, charger. As to what make, do your research and look at some. I think you need a minimum 40 AMP charger, and 60 wouldn't hurt.

If you don’t have an inverter you might consider getting a charger/inverter. Outback makes a great one. Good luck
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I still have the original Sentry charger on my boat. 1973 and still working. I have the same battery setup as you. Last spring I had one bank on the edge of dead from a light being left on and the charger would not keep working, doing the same as yours. I brought another portable charger down to bring it back up to full charge then the Sentry was fine after that. I know the Sentry is old school tech but it works, I put a drop of light oil on the fan shaft each spring as it tends to dry up over the winter storage period.

Great information! Thank you. Now that I am reading your post, I remember I left the DC lights on in the engine room for a few days on accident. Things have been acting up ever since. I will try bringing them up to full charge with a battery charger and see how it does. I haven’t looked at the sentry charger in detail. Is the fan easy to access to oil? Is there a specific location on the fan motor where the oil goes?
    Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I still have the original Sentry charger on my boat. 1973 and still working. I have the same battery setup as you. Last spring I had one bank on the edge of dead from a light being left on and the charger would not keep working, doing the same as yours. I brought another portable charger down to bring it back up to full charge then the Sentry was fine after that. I know the Sentry is old school tech but it works, I put a drop of light oil on the fan shaft each spring as it tends to dry up over the winter storage period.

There are two screws to hold the cover on. Take it off and you can see the fan on the right hand side. The fan motor is mounted up and down, just drop a few drops of sewing machine oil onto the shaft between the fan blades and the motor. Keeps it running quieter.

Walt Hoover

For my money I chose the Victron Skylla-IP44 60 amp charger. It is programmable for your battery manufacturer's specific charging protocol and has battery temperature and voltage compensation.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...la-IP44-EN.pdf
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Thanks!!
    There are two screws to hold the cover on. Take it off and you can see the fan on the right hand side. The fan motor is mounted up and down, just drop a few drops of sewing machine oil onto the shaft between the fan blades and the motor. Keeps it running quieter.Walt Hoover

I wish I had fixed my sentry as a lot of people have said over the years I’ve had nothing but trouble with smart chargers and put a timer on mine because I don’t trust it
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Replaced my original charger with the 50amp ProNautic unit from ProMariner over five years ago. No complaints at all.
    Attached Images
    Vic
    1978 Hatteras 46C Hull #127
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Thelog,

I have been looking at the same charger you purchased. How was the install? Straight forward?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thelog View Post
    Replaced my original charger with the 50amp ProNautic unit from ProMariner over five years ago. No complaints at all.