Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Replacing original onboard battery charger

Hello All,

I believe my onboard (original) battery charger is on it's last leg. I am amazed the charger has last for 39 years! Impressed! It does not appear to be charging the port bank of batteries and it is short cycling while its powered up. Comes on for about 8-10 seconds, shuts off for about 8-10 seconds and then turns back on. I will be replacing it with a new charger over the winter. our 43 convertible has a 12v system and I am trying to figure out which charger to buy that will be the most "plug and play" option. Wondering how many amp charger I should purchase. Our Hatt has two battery banks. Each bank has (2) 1400 CCA 8D lead acid batteries. We spend most of the time docked and on shore power and if we are out on the lake for extended periods of time I use the genny for electrical power. So we don't really use the batteries for much with the exception of starting the Detroits and powering the vacuflush waste system, oil change pump once a year and a few DC lights. Thanks in advance for any advice or direction you can provide.

Stay safe and healthy out there!

Re: Replacing original onboard battery charger

There is plenty of options in the 12V world, I think 30amps is good but I can’t recommend a manufacturer.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I'd rec Newmar. https://dcpoweronboard.com/battery-chargers/

Reach out to them with the same question. See what they come back with.

Good luck.

Sales
    salesDPO@newmarpower.com

Tech Service
    techservice@newmarpower.com

Are the engines 12v as well? Hatteras has a 12/24 system where there is one dual bank 12v charger for two 12v taps and then 2 single bank chargers for the second battery in each group. That is because the second battery negative is connected to the first battery positive. Therefore the second battery charger “negative” is not/cannot be grounded.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I believe the Detroit 6V92's are 12v. I will admit, I am not completely familiar with the battery set up. We just purchased the boat this year and I am attempting to learn and gather as much info as I possibly can. I tested the batteries and the port bank (2 8D batteries) were reading only a 30% charge on both. So I am left to believe the charger isn't doing it's job. Plus with the charger coming off and on like it is. Thanks for all of the input so far!

Take the covers off the battery boxes and post a picture. Very easy to tell you what you have.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I will take a few pictures when I am on the boat later this week and post them to this thread. Thanks!

It’s a good chance the batteries are bad not the charger
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    It’s a good chance the batteries are bad not the charger
    I tested the 4 batteries. 3 of the 4 are good. One needs replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    I tested the 4 batteries. 3 of the 4 are good. One needs replaced.
    One bad battery will make the charger act funky. You need good batteries first.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI