Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Old topic, new inquiry... Replacing the original AC squirrel cage blower

Good afternoon! Looking for some advice/experience. I pulled the original blower from the forward V-berth cabin in my Hat 54' to try to identify a replacement. Not only is the electic motor seized, the squirrel cage is rusted out as well. I followed some links from an older thread with a similar topic, but could not get a match based on the model number. I've reached out to Electric Motor Warehouse, and another vendor to see if the blower they listed on their website is a direct replacement. I'm trying to replace a Dayton Model 8C264, which is apparently a defunct model number. I've attached a couple of pictures of the data plate - Anyone else run into this? The existing AC system definitely performs - Even in Florida.20201014_134430.jpg20201014_134346.jpg
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Re: Old topic, new inquiry... Replacing the original AC squirrel cage blower

I looked up Daytona electric motors and found numerous available. I typed in your model number but it did not come up. You might try to contact them on Monday and see if they have a crossover for you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Grainger sells Dayton. Did you check with them?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

115V or 230V? This is 230V if you could use it.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Following other thread answers on this website, I contacted Electric Motor Warehouse, provided all the information I could, and asked about a Dayton blower they showed on their website asking if it was a direct replacement or if they could steer me in the right direction. The answer I got back? "That's a Dayton part or model number contact them." So obviously they don't want my business. I've contacted Grainger - Not optimistic, not only are they not good with customer service but they are ridiculously high-priced. That's an opinion based on a LOT of experience with them thru different employers as a fleet manager, service manager, etc.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    115V or 230V? This is 230V if you could use it.
    Thanks Robert - I am looking for a 230V, not sure if that one will fit but going to look at the pictures more closely.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Solved. Grainger is the parent company of Dayton, but apparently the Crusair products used exclusive model/part numbers that did NOT cross over. However, I printed a spec sheet off Grainger that I thought was a close match to the existing blower, and measured the physical dimensions and matched up the electrical specs from the data plate. WIN! Blower has been ordered. $130.00

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Yes, Dayton is a Grainger brand. Glad you found a match.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

So for anyone else struggling with this issue, I found out that the current model of this blower is the Dayton Model 1TDR4 Blower 271 CFM 1670 RPM 230V 60/50hz.

After I printed out the spec sheet, and compared data plates and measured physical dimensions, I am convinced that this is the same blower with an updated number. Bonus - It not only is a complete drop-in including the squirrel cage, it has 7-inch leads instead of the motor it replaced which had NO power leads.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Here's why I shouldn't have bothered. A month after replacing the blower, the compressor locked up. However, I have completed the install of a new MarineAir unit with connections to the original ducts feeding the galley and V-berth. Easier in some ways than expected, and a good trial run for the eventual installation of a second similar unit to service the aft and midship staterooms.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL