Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bearing for shaft's recessed strut.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a cutlass bearing in the recessed strut where the shaft passes through the hull on a 1981 43 DCMY? The manual shows a water cooled rubber bearing (i.e. cutlass bearing). (See attached pls) Mine does not have one. Have any other 43 DCMY owners run across this?
    Attached Images

Re: Bearing for shaft's recessed strut.

I've never seen one so chewed up. What happened. I have seen short (1/2) bearings in them like the rudder boxes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Bump.

This appears to have been a question for awhile, this is another guy saying "I'm supposed to have a bearing there!" but there isn't one. At least it's not just me!

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Bump.

This appears to have been a question for awhile, this is another guy saying "I'm supposed to have a bearing there!" but there isn't one. At least it's not just me!
    Was told by a manufacturer of struts and bearings can do without.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskele View Post
    Was told by a manufacturer of struts and bearings can do without.
    On yours do you know if there was ever one there, or if Hatt just did not install them in that model? I have another thread going on this issue where there is conflicting info and I'm trying to figure it out. Some people's boats have that bearing and others don't. Your thread is the closest to answering it I've come, because your manufacturer's diagram for the shaft log shows one's supposed to be there. Just curious if you knew.

On my 53, there is just a fiberglass tube, no bronze fitting to hold a bearing there. I'm not sure if older 53's had that fitting or not.

On the 43DC that is pictured, there is obviously a fitting there that would accept a cutlass bearing. Do you need it? Was there ever one there? Maybe a call to Hatteras or Sams would answer that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    On yours do you know if there was ever one there, or if Hatt just did not install them in that model? I have another thread going on this issue where there is conflicting info and I'm trying to figure it out. Some people's boats have that bearing and others don't. Your thread is the closest to answering it I've come, because your manufacturer's diagram for the shaft log shows one's supposed to be there. Just curious if you knew.
    Yes, I believe there was one there, but it was gone prior to my purchasing the boat. If you examine the photos of my boat you will see the mounting plate. The opening is not machined smooth. It is rough where the log was removed.

I spoke with these people...https://www.facebook.com/strutsruddersbearings
    They can make it for you if you want to install or replace. The issue you will face is shaft alignment. That's why I opted not to do it.