Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Something is just itching to break.

Haul out- Check. Serviced bottom, props, and some cutlass bearings.
    Mechanic- Check. Serviced 2 leaking turbo housings, several service items, verified temps, and getting over required full RPM's.
    Electric- Check. Replaces starboard side 8D's after replacing port last year with AGM's. Had to go sealed lead acid on starboard since no one has AGM's due to rona shutdowns. At least I can compare them over time.

So now all seems to be perfect. But Now we have a trip down south for a week. You just know something is hanging on by a thread! As long as I have no diesel leaks and the AC keeps running for the wife we can deal with the rest. Fingers crossed.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Something is just itching to break.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Mechanic- Check. Serviced 2 leaking turbo housings, several service items, verified temps, and getting over required full RPM's.
    Electric- Check. Replaces starboard side 8D's after replacing port last year with AGM's. Had to go sealed lead acid on starboard since no one has AGM's due to rona shutdowns. At least I can compare them over time.

So now all seems to be perfect. But Now we have a trip down south for a week. You just know something is hanging on by a thread! As long as I have no diesel leaks and the AC keeps running for the wife we can deal with the rest. Fingers crossed.

Good luck and fair seas, hope ya'll have a great time, shake the bugs loose
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC
    Twin DD 671 TI

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post

I remember sitting in Fort Lauderdale at the helm of my sailboat the night before leaving for the Chesapeake, outside, alone. A friend had stopped by to say good bye and share a cold one.

I said to him: "You know everything on this boat is working right now?" I saw the look in his eyes, and before he could even say the words the wind instruments in front of me went dark. They didn't come back until a week after the trip was over, and after that never had another issue.

Nowadays I don't even dare THINK the words. Good luck.

(As an aside.... when I sold it EVERYTHING worked during the survey... Surveyor was amazed.)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay
    https://ladykay.blog/lady-kay-v/

My son and I were in my 34 running on plane for a bit a few years back and since bottom was cleaned that day it was making full speed and everything was running perfect. I commented to him that the boat is really running great. Instantly (no exaggeration) port engine RPM's dropped. It was just a booger in the fuel tank pickup and we were easily underway after switching to the other tank. But I know it happened because I jinxed it!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

My story may not be as dramatic as some. I am to 19 6546 foot Chris-Craft constellation. It was considered a 10 out of 10 boats. Absolutely everything worked because I maintained it that way. I sold it just after I bought my 53 Hatteras. The day we signed the papers in the galley with the new Owner the refrigerator stopped working. I had to replace it within a few days. As Iíve always said itís always something.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Are you using the same charger for the lead-acid and AGM banks? Because I think if you do that, you have to set it for the AGM charging curve, which doesn't top out at quite the level the lead-acid one does?