Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cutlass Bearing Removal 52c

Hey guys, we are picking up a vibration and the first suspect on the list is the cutlass bearing. A guy at the yard recommended a Strut Pro Cutlass bearing puller. This puller allows you to pull the bearings without pulling the shafts (which is very attractive). But after looking at this thing it does not look long enough for my strut.

https://strutpro.com/

Anybody have experience with this thing on a 52c (or boat with similar strut?)? It looks like maybe my strut has two bearings stacked in it? I'm not sure, never had them out.

Any guidance/knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to do a short haul to do them, maybe overnight, so I'd like to have all my ducks in a row pre-haul. Kicking myself for not doing them when we were out earlier this year, but whatever, is what it is.

Here is a pic of my strut.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Re: Cutlass Bearing Removal 52c

Had my running gear overhauled last year. My mechanic was able to change out the bearings on the forward struts using the same type of tool with no problem. As for the main strut, he had a hell of a time getting the bearings out due to a taper on the leading edge of the strut’s bearing housing. The taper did not allow the tool’s shims to set in place.
    Attached Images
    Vic
    1978 Hatteras 46C Hull #127
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Rusty, you should call them, has to be a pretty common issue. So, would love to know why Hatteras used 2 bearings when most others are just using 1? Maybe also call SE Foundry in Greensboro NC, pretty sure they made the struts, Bruce Angel is now running SE Foundry after leaving Hatteras, was at Hatteras foreverrrrrrrrr.
    If you call them see if you can get any info on the bearings they're using that have some sort of extra grooves that help to eliminate bearing noise.
    Will be changing ours over the winter, hoping to be able to remove them without removing the shafts or cutting the shaft tubes.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

It's a hell of a tool, I read what I could find on it months ago and watched the videos. Not sure it would not work. Only issue would be getting the correct adapters or getting them all.

I own 1 . Used it on my 43 and Tiara.
    Not sure on your situation. Strut Pro certainly could tell you. Its just a press and jigs.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I own one and used it on my boat. I bought and extended the tool with grade 8 threaded rod in 6’ lengths to overcome the depth issue. I was able to do all 2 1/2 cutlass bearings on both sides. Was not a easy job.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

I made one years ago with a few pieces of steel, some threaded rod and cutting a pipe in half lengthwise on the band saw. It works great. I had no idea that I could have just bought one already made.

Just change the length of the threaded rod for a longer strut.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-17-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Durant in Mystic,CT makes a nice unit. Consider a hydralic unit. It's much quicker to use especially when dealing
    with pushing the mid bearing through the aft strut when inserting the new bearing. My aft bearings required
    cutting one in half to acheive the proper length.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Just changed four cutlass bearings on a 43 Hatteras DC. Due to the taper of the main strut, was unable to press the bearing out. Used a reciprocating saw (sawsall) to cut through the bearing. Then used a blunt chisel and hammer to bend the edges inward. Eventually can drive it out with a punch and twist and pull with vice grips. Once out, used the old bearing to press out the mid-strut bearings with a threaded rod and backing plates. Also applied a liberal amount of PB Blaster to loosen things up. Here is a link from Citimarine on how to cut out a bearing.
    https://citimarinestore.com/citiguid...omplete-guide/
    PITA, but can be done. Plan to spend a whole day.

BTW...does your boat have a "recessed" strut where the shaft enters the hull (tube protruding from the hull)? There will likely be a bearing there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim saco View Post
    I own one and used it on my boat. I bought and extended the tool with grade 8 threaded rod in 6’ lengths to overcome the depth issue. I was able to do all 2 1/2 cutlass bearings on both sides. Was not a easy job.
    2 1/2 bearings? Did you have a recessed strut with bearing at the hull?