Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1973 FBDC Questions

Just bought a 1973 FBDC. Just brought it about 300 miles from Owen Sound to Windsor through 4-6' waves and it is rock solid. Needs some work and have a few questions for the experienced owners:
    -Want to replace original toilets, they work but ... - suggestions?
    -Need new flooring; removed carpet and want new flooring that gives access to engine room openings.
    - Need new windshield; heavily discoloured; Suggestions?
    - Need to replace window slides; still work but old and deteriorated - suggestions?
    - Some stanchions need to be bedded - is there a backing plate for the screws? A YouTube Video suggested using epoxy to fill around screws with But
    - Need new lifelines - where can I get them?
    - Have a 44 lbs. Bruce anchor with two spares - is that enough?
    Any and all comments welcomed.
    Thanks.

Re: 1973 FBDC Questions

Look at the Raritan Marine Elegance toilets. Fairly universally acclaimed as great units.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Assume you 43 FBDC. I believe there is an embedded aluminum plate for the stanchions. I have 1976 43 DCFB and tried to get few out - impossible, corrosion welded in as far as I can tell. You will have to drill out, not easy to get drill plumb as the screw heads so close to stanchion pole. Ask yourself if that trip really worth it. As for lifelines, go to local sailboat rigging shop and give them the old ones. They will make new ones up for you that match length - that's what I did, worked out great and not all that expensive. Good Luck with her, these boats become part of the family in short order.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Look at the Raritan Marine Elegance toilets. Fairly universally acclaimed as great units.
    The boat that we acquired this summer has these heads forward and aft and I have nothing but good to say about them , they work very well
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Depending on how much you will be cruising and anchoring...
    I recommend connecting master toilet to the freshwater system (easier to control orders) and make the fwd head saltwater. I connected mine to an Electra Scan.
    Capt. Rob

For flooring we went with teak and holly. Very classic look. Also expensive. It’s not the materials so much as it is the skill to install correctly and seamlessly. I have one center hatch on a hinge for easy access and all other hatches look like they have solid flooring over them but with some effort all are removable. We love it.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP