Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Heating thoughts.....

I used 5 of the oil filled Delonghi 120 VAC heaters last season on Miss Maggie during the winter in Mystic, CT. The boat stayed more than warm enough. Actually too warm on some days. I winter in the water and shrink wrap the boat as well which helps keep the heat in. I did not have a moisture issue at all.

I did not have a significant power issue. When i wanted to use the stove, I would turn off 1-2 of the heaters and that was sufficient until I finished cooking and then turned heaters back on.

For those that might use this type of heater, DO NOT use the digital versions. If you have a temporary loss of power, the digital heaters need to be turned back on manually. The standard analog controlled heaters will re-energize automatically once power is restored.

I did the this same process on my previous 44 Sportfish for over 15 winters in Mystic, CT. Some winters were mild and some were brutal. When it got really cold during the brutal winters, I used a propane heater to help bring the temps up.

I will be doing the same this winter.

I like the idea of using 220VAC heaters and may look into that. I have also installed thermostatically controlled engine block heaters and that will supplement the heat soaking process very well. The DD 671s are a lot of metal and will act as nice core heat.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    ... I didn't know they were allowing liveaboards at Harborview. Is that a new policy?
    Harborview has a vibrant liveaboard community with about 30 boats plus many boaters with condos within walking distance. We love it here, even if it is a little pricy. Still a lot less than Annapolis or DC. We like the location for the ease of access to points south, and the view from the marina is lovely. We always get invitations to go out with others and look forward to reciprocating when I get to be more confident at the helm.
    I've decided to T off of the primer pump in the port engine room. I'll have a ball valve that goes into a hose barb for a flexible fuel line I'll run into the SB engine room that will dump into the stock fuel tank that comes with the heater, mounted on the wall next to the hot water tank. Then I'll just connect up the fuel pump as per the instructions. When the tank gets low, I'll open and close the appropriate valves and run the primer pump to fill it up. That way I won't have to worry with the cans and the fuel tank isn't too far below the heater to cause difficulty for the fuel pump.
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisù
    Harborview Marina, Baltimore, MD
    gondolaguy@gmail.com
    Liveaboard

My boat, heated with cube heaters etc, was comfortable but not what you would call warm. Certainly not 48000 BTU worth, but a 36C only has about 18000 BTU on full reverse cycle. The cube and radiator heat was a lot quieter, I have to say.

This was also at a time in my life when I would walk up the dock to the showers barefoot in the middle of winter. I wouldn't do that, now.

As others have said, even with water temps in the upper 30's, my reverse cycle units make heat just fine... it should be a non issue.

It sure is nice to not these issues in SC. One nice point of a convertible in winter is the radiant heating from the salon windows. Having recently installed Huper Optic 95% UV ceramic film (and reaped the summertime benefits), I’ll be interested in seeing how this works out this winter.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    It sure is nice to not these issues in SC.
    But it's offset by having to have the bottom cleaned every day at noon and midnight.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    But it's offset by having to have the bottom cleaned every day at noon and midnight.
    Only if you want to plane
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    I have to agree with this.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I have mulled these same thoughts about heating as I may move to colder climate in future.
    If I ever replace the split HVAC systems, I would go the route Pascal went and install chillers. I would then add a diesel fired furnace by Kabola or WayWolf in place of hot water tank in ER.
    If no chillers then some multiple of Eberspacher or Webasto diesel fired hot air units. Used lots of these on trucks in the past. I found they were more reliable with the lift pump close to main fuel tanks and using a small inline fuel filter before pump. The issue I see on the boat would be the need for careful consideration of exhaust routing.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I had some Espar heaters in a coach. I hated them. I was always working on them. The Webasto is soild, the Espar not so much in my experience.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI