Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1995 54 Convertible

Im going to look at a '95 54C . Ive owned a 2003 48 Ocean and am considering the hatteras.
    Having never owned one, I'm looking for any insight into this boat. Pros/Cons, what to look for....
    She is powered with Detroit 12/92's.
    Thanks for any help!

Re: 1995 54 Convertible

My father had a 2000 48' Ocean with Cat 3196's. That I think was one of Ocean's best hulls. I think we cruised like 26-27 knots if I remember correctly. That boat was definitely lighter, and quicker than a '95 54' Hatt. The Hatt will ride much better overall, especially head on into the seas. But, it will be slower, and probably burn more fuel. Ocean was pretty creative with their layouts, so the 48' had pretty nice sleeping arrangements, possibly more so than the Hatt. Going from your current, newer boat, have you looked at the newer Hatteras'? Like the '50 or 54'? They are going to give you more performance than your current boat, and have many update systems. The older Hatt's are tanks, built better than the Ocean, but it will be a step down in performance unless you go in heavy seas often, and my guess is many systems will need to be updated.

We came from a 38 ocean to a 52c Hatt. Not exactly the same jump you are planning but fairly close. The biggest difference I noticed was wiring. The Hatteras wiring is absolutely immaculate compared to the Ocean. Tracing anything on the Ocean was an absolute nightmare. With the hatteras I just pull out my wiring diagrams and look for number tags on wires. Everything is neat, nice and clean.

The second biggest difference to me was quality of ride. Yeah, we went from 38 to 52 which is a huge jump but the ride quality was night and day. I've ridden in several other convertibles and I have yet to ride in one that even comes close to the seakeeping ability of my 52c.

Third was water tightness. I seemed to always be chasing water leaks on the ocean, I'm talking rain water from the topside, not saltwater hull leaks. The hatteras seems very tight so far.

The extra speed of the ocean was only usable sometimes in the Gulf of Mexico, anything more than a chop and we had to slow down or get our teeth pounded out. The hatteras will run at cruise speed softly/gently in 4' chop seas all day long. With the ocean we would be lucky to make headway at hull speed in those seas.

For us it was a huge upgrade in space, seakeeping and usability. Couldn't be happier with the decision to move up and over.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 10-15-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Thank You both for your input. Honestly I would love to go to a newer 50 or 54 for the very reasons you give. The only think holding me back is bout 400k.
    I totally agree with the rain water issues on the Ocean. Hoping that as well as the ride will not be an issue.
    Hopefully someone can give me some actual gph info based on a 24kt cruise with these 12/92's.
    Also, can anyone provide info on how dry the cockpit stays during cruise along with exhaust fumes in the cockpit??
    That was never an issue with my Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    We came from a 38 ocean to a 52c Hatt. Not exactly the same jump you are planning but fairly close. The biggest difference I noticed was wiring. The Hatteras wiring is absolutely immaculate compared to the Ocean. Tracing anything on the Ocean was an absolute nightmare. With the hatteras I just pull out my wiring diagrams and look for number tags on wires. Everything is neat, nice and clean.The second biggest difference to me was quality of ride. Yeah, we went from 38 to 52 which is a huge jump but the ride quality was night and day. I've ridden in several other convertibles and I have yet to ride in one that even comes close to the seakeeping ability of my 52c.Third was water tightness. I seemed to always be chasing water leaks on the ocean, I'm talking rain water from the topside, not saltwater hull leaks. The hatteras seems very tight so far.The extra speed of the ocean was only usable sometimes in the Gulf of Mexico, anything more than a chop and we had to slow down or get our teeth pounded out. The hatteras will run at cruise speed softly/gently in 4' chop seas all day long. With the ocean we would be lucky to make headway at hull speed in those seas.For us it was a huge upgrade in space, seakeeping and usability. Couldn't be happier with the decision to move up and over.
    Great points. My kids recall the delivery trip from Marco to Charleston with fondness (except the day we ran the afternoon from Ponce to Fernandina in 8’+ @ 18 kts). Twice the props came out when we hit a couple of 10’+. Plenty sporty up top, but she took it well without pounding. Got to admire those motor mounts when all that mass plows into a wave. Five years gone, I’ll opt for the Cadillac ride. But I know what she’ll take and that makes everyone onboard feel safe.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by cjtav View Post
    Thank You both for your input. Honestly I would love to go to a newer 50 or 54 for the very reasons you give. The only think holding me back is bout 400k.
    I totally agree with the rain water issues on the Ocean. Hoping that as well as the ride will not be an issue.
    Hopefully someone can give me some actual gph info based on a 24kt cruise with these 12/92's.
    Also, can anyone provide info on how dry the cockpit stays during cruise along with exhaust fumes in the cockpit??
    That was never an issue with my Ocean.
    Does the 54 have side or rear exhaust? Do you have a link to the listing?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

She has side exhaust