Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 58 vs 61 vs 63 fuel consmuption

I have a feeling the mpg on the boat isn't the deciding factor. The wider beam, especially the wider beam, wide body, makes the boat much more comfortable, and livable in all situations. If you can find one to fit your wallet, a 63 wide body is a great boat, and like the major news organizations, I'm totally unbiased! 😎

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I have a feeling the mpg on the boat isn't the deciding factor. The wider beam, especially the wider beam, wide body, makes the boat much more comfortable, and livable in all situations. If you can find one to fit your wallet, a 63 wide body is a great boat, and like the major news organizations, I'm totally unbiased! 
    All true, just it can make a difference between do you want to get there in 10 hours or 4, and will it cost me $1000 extra to do it fast on a larger boat versus and extra $250 on a smaller boat, or maybe it doesn't, just trying to get a feel for the difference I'm guessing a wide beam 61 would be 20 or 30% more fuel at a fast cruise versus a 58. But that's me guessing.

I don't want a dock queen but don't want to guess on the difference in what running at 15 knots would cost either.

Fuel cost may be a small portion of the overall cost, but it is important!

Doesn’t the 58 run 8v92 engines and larger boats run 12v71 engines? Edward

Don't have much to add on the fuel consumption, but I do have a question on the subject. I find it difficult to run at any speed other than hull speed in inland waterways. Soooo many small boats everywhere I would submarine them if I rolled by on plane. Now when we get offshore it's a different story, we can hammer down no problem. Maybe in some areas it's different but for me at least it's hard to do more than hull speed anywhere but offshore.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Doesn’t the 58 run 8v92 engines and larger boats run 12v71 engines? Edward
    Yes, from what I have seen this is true. I haven't seen any variation from this.
    I think some of the older older 58's may have had slightly smaller engines, but not sure on that.
    Most if not all are as you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Don't have much to add on the fuel consumption, but I do have a question on the subject. I find it difficult to run at any speed other than hull speed in inland waterways. Soooo many small boats everywhere I would submarine them if I rolled by on plane. Now when we get offshore it's a different story, we can hammer down no problem. Maybe in some areas it's different but for me at least it's hard to do more than hull speed anywhere but offshore.
    Not sure of your question, but where I am, in the great lakes, if in say Lake Huron for instance,
    most boats are running within 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile offshore, so it wouldn't take much to get out away from traffic. Not much traffic in lower lake Huron anyways. Go to Lake St. Clair, and it's boats running amuck everywhere in every direction.

We have the St. Clair river that runs between Lake St. Clair and Lake Huron, with that if your not running fast you won't get anywhere if your going upstream, as the current is 5 to 7 MPH LOL.