Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Looking for Max rated Torque output

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    What is the maximum rated torque output for a 6v92TA marine engine rated at 465hp and at what rpm? I'd love to see a torque curve but I can't seem to find this info anywhere.
    I don't recall the 6V92TA ever being 465hp. I thought they were 450hp? I remember the roided-out 6-71TIB from J&T were rated at 465.

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    I don't recall the 6V92TA ever being 465hp. I thought they were 450hp? I remember the roided-out 6-71TIB from J&T were rated at 465.
    Mine show 465hp. On the hull number after mine, the tags show 485hp.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    The only listings for 6V-92s I can find that show torque are for industrial and certain automotive engines. None of them have the HP or maximum RPM of a marine engine. However, with minimal exception they all show peak torque at 1200 RPM.

I also, can't find any listing for a 465HP marine engine. However, I did find a 435 HP.

Attachment 44090

HP=TQ*RPM/5252 so If I can still remember high school algebra TQ=(5252*HP)/RPM.

This graph shows the HP at 1200RPM to be about 240. So, (5252*240)/1200=1050 lb ft.

Close enough?
    Yes, that's close enough. I guess I should have searched for that formula.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Mine show 465hp. On the hull number after mine, the tags show 485hp.
    I did not know the HP ratings varied like that. Interesting, to say the least. Was Covington Detroit Diesel the supplier for Hatteras back then?

5. Re: Looking for Max rated Torque output

Covington bumped them up.

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    I did not know the HP ratings varied like that. Interesting, to say the least. Was Covington Detroit Diesel the supplier for Hatteras back then?
    Yes, they are Covingtons
    Sky Cheney

(Horsepower x 5252) ÷ rpm = torque.. kinda

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    (Horsepower x 5252) ÷ rpm = torque.. kinda
    Not kinda, always. If you know the HP and the RPM, you know the torque.

Torque is an irrelevant number on a boat except for sizing the shaft.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Torque is king. It's what has the ability to move big heavy boats. My 34C is underpowered ("at the brochure") with only 270HP engines. But since they make big HP at such low RPM's they make 735 foot pounds of torque, much more that the 330HP 454's before them. Top end is similar but these can jump the boat on plane quicker and cruise at a higher speed burning less fuel.

A deficiency on the DD's in this arena is kind of similar to the high RPM engines like Yanmars. While they make nice HP numbers they can struggle to get on plane where RPM's come up and they really breathe. I have 650HP 8-92's on the 46 but while they make big numbers they struggle until turbo's spin up. Therefore while the HP and torque is there it only exists after the engine develops power. I had 20 people on the boat over the weekend for an event and it planed off like an underpowered single engine. But once turbos spooled up it took off like a rocket (may be a bit of an exaggeration). Cummins is the king of torque in my opinion. Big HP way down in the RPM range.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Therefore while the HP and torque is there it only exists after the engine develops power.
    I read that a few times. It's profound man.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay