Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Interior refresh.

Specifically the hallway between the engine room and the galley floor. The wallpaper in the hallway was trashed below the doors. One of the removable panels was OK, the other had damage to the wall paper that was beyond repair.

So in an effort to modify as if it had always been that way I added a half round trim piece, similar to the trim around the doors at elbow height. Below it I removed the wall paper and I removed the wall paper off the hatches and painted it all to match the doors. Filled a bunch of holes and repaired cracks in the trim around the hatches. All that's there now is the the screws that hold it in.

There was dirty white carpet (not the best choice there) on the floor. Under it was the original plywood marinated in 42 years of 40 weight. I put some Luan down as underlayment and am putting these vinyl tiles down reminiscent of the parquet floors of the 70's, so let's call it "period correct". (They look more like wood than the picture shows) Some day I will put real teak and holly down, the fake stuff is still expensive, and in 6 foot wide rolls not the easiest to put down. We'll put a runner over the vinyl and call it good for a few years. There are other things higher up on the list to take the real money. Going to do the galley floor with the same stuff.

Still have to make a new hatch over the fuel tank (the one there is too thick and too small, not original) and put a quarter round around the edges.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-04-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Interior refresh.

Looks good!

Something I've done on my knockabout 1968 Commander 42, and will also do on my Roamer, is put radiant heat panels under all of the places I've installed flooring. It's relatively low wattage, the heat starts out in the right spot, and warm floors in winter are a good thing.

The only downside is when a heater panel covers a subfloor hatch. You have to take up more flooring to be able to roll back the heater panel. But the upsides far outweigh the down.

Yeah, I need more electrical wiring.

All four of my A/C's are heat pumps. When they stop working it's time to winterize and take the motorhome South.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Flooring completed, runner in and the Admiral's decorations on the wall. That's the genuine article. Weighs a ton. Lag bolted through the wall.....
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

So in the fight for space I was able to secure the mid cabin closet for "Engineering and Technical Services". We won't have a lot of guests and they certainly won't be coming with two feet of hanging clothes. Got a bunch of tubs and some 1-by material and made grated shelves. I'm using just about every inch and I can get to anything moving two tubs max. It's completely free standing, assembled inside. No screws into the closet itself....
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Dishwasher extricated, new flooring, new rugs. Admiral is happy. Before and after:
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Dishwasher extricated, new flooring, new rugs. Admiral is happy. Before and after:
    Why did you take out the dishwasher?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    Why did you take out the dishwasher?
    I was old, tired and looked it, especially the inside. Plus we don't use it. There's two of us. I wash as I go. We were using it to store recyclables. The lines are capped, another one could be put in in minutes. I also don't need a 4 burner stove, so that's coming out too. A two burner induction is perfect for what I do. What I also need is a large cutting board with a hole and the trash can under it. (Have that at home.) So that's the next phase.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

You got rid of the dishwasher and the missus approved?

Strange...

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    You got rid of the dishwasher and the missus approved?

Strange...
    You are making a lot of assumptions there. The kitchen is my department. I organize the kitchen to suit my work flows, I plan meals, I shop, I cook, I clean as I do so and when I plate it up there are little or no dishes. After we eat I wash the plates we used and it's done. The missus is in charge of other departments.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay