Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Galley Maid Windlass Motor Slow and Circuit Breaker Tripping

Windlass has worked perfectly last 5 years. But on last outing it seemed a little slow. Did not think anything of it.

7.30pm today .... Let the anchor free fall and used a little power OUT for to set the chain snubber. Windlass motor hardly moved and circuit breaker in anchor locker popped.

Motor happier when going UP, but slow.

The battery is full and charger on.

What are the first things to check in the morning? Are there any connections in the engine room?

Worse case scenarios?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Galley Maid Windlass Motor Slow and Circuit Breaker Tripping

Your correct, check the electrical connections. Sounds like a voltage drop is increasing amps and popping the breaker. Could be as simple as a bad or corroded ground connection
    1984 Hurley 36 Express sold
    1974 46C series I sold
    1984 46HP series II

I just dealt with a similar problem and had the luxury of having the guy who built my windlass at Galley maid come to the boat to trouble shoot.

The first thing he checked was the gear oil which was old and terrible looking. The motor struggles when it gets too crappy. It looked like it had not been changed ever and I have owned the boat 11 years and not changed it. It wasn't the problem but worth doing.

Second thing he checked was the batteries. While it tested as 32 volts, the sustained amperage was too low and tripping the breaker. I replaced three golf cart batteries that had found their way into the bank and the windlass performed flawlessly.

Rick at Galley Maid is a long way from Australia but a nice guy and could talk you through this. PM me and I will forward his contact info.

Bruce
    Freestyle
    Tampa
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext.)

Check the gear oil in the gearbox.

There is a motor controller connected to the up-and-down switches. Mine is in the anchor locker. There might be corrosion on the terminals or loose connections.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

if galley maid is like my ideal windlass the shaft goes through an upper bushing, that is where mine was binding up and popping the breaker. i pulled and cleaned the shaft, put a dab of grease on it and it has worked great for about 8 years
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    if galley maid is like my ideal windlass the shaft goes through an upper bushing, that is where mine was binding up and popping the breaker. i pulled and cleaned the shaft, put a dab of grease on it and it has worked great for about 8 years
    Saw a pro struggle for two days to get an Ideal out..... used EVERY trick in the book. The bearing/bushing had fused and NOTHING got them to give up.

In the end the sawzall and a drill ended the battle, with the loss of parts of the Ideal.....

So yes, keep that lubed!!!!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Removed the capstan, springs, spingloader, wildcat (that's what GM call it). There is a bottom clutch plate, which will not come off and its likely either the big washer or circlip has bitten into the clutch plate's metal. (GM and I have been in touch about this previously.)

With each part removal we tested the up/down function and heard horrid grinding and binding noises. DOWN kept stopping and tripping the circuit breaker. Hmmmmmm.

A big screwdriver used as a lever tried to lifty off the bottom cluctch plate. Bits of steel crumbled out from under the clutch plate. Hmmmm. There should not be any iron. But there is... the outer tube that the shaft lives in.

So out came the can of WD40 and it was sprayed liberally onto the shaft to soak down to the bearings and whatever else was grinding/binding.

After 5 minutes there was minimal improvement. DOWN was still sticking. After 10 minutes we tried the up and down buttons and there was vast improvement. After more WD40 and 30 minutes soaking, both up and down have completely freed up with the motor spinning freely and no grinding/binding sounds. (There was no gear noise, as any noises were above deck.

IMG_9647.jpg

Nice ad for WD40. We sprayed the shaft and let it soak down. Problem (temporarily?) solved.

++++

So we will watch it and I'll contact Rick at GM again to look at how to remove the locked bottom clutch plate. I'll also change the gear oil immediately. Wiring below has been checked and sprayed with WD40.

To be truthful, I never want to remove the windlass as I have read the removal procedure. Daunting.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 10-06-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Removing is not too bad. I have taken two of them out. You just need a piece of pipe and a BIG hammer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Following on, I've taken a look at the Galley Maid drawings and they do not show any shaft bearings up near the deckplate. Given that I cannot remove the clutch plate without angle grinder persuasion, what would have bound up so tight to stop the shaft turning and tripping the circuit breaker?

I believe the clutch plate will not lift off as the stainless circlip below has bitten into the base of the plate.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 10-06-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

10. Re: Galley Maid Windlass Motor Slow and Circuit Breaker Tripping

I would strongly suggest calling Galley Maid. I had similar issues and the call to them proved to be a great idea. I believe I spoke with Rick? And he told me that one of my gears was failing. Upon pulling the gear box and opening it sure enough the gear he said was failing.
    I ordered all of the bearings, seals and gears. About a 4 hour job for an old retired guy.
    It runs like new every since and that’s been 2 years now.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY