Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Galley Maid Windlass Motor Slow and Circuit Breaker Tripping

Seems like a good idea to remove the capstan, wildcat , and clutch plate every year. Clean the shaft and coat with a light coat of grease . My windlass wouldn’t free fall until I did this .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Contacted and received response from Rick at GalleyMaid.

The WD40 indeed lubricated the top bushing on shaft. So that's a win.

Removal of the clutch plate will be problematic.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I just went out and pulled my capstan , wildcat , and lower clutch plate off . It disassembled easily due to the grease still remaining. Reassembled with new grease . The lower clutch plate is not fastened, it is just lowered on the shaft . I would try a penetrating oil for several days, some heat to the hub would help. A puller with very long arms would be great as the clutch plate is very rigid. But if you can find anything like that , I would be amazed . Pry on opposite sides with substantial pry bars . This being said , I don’t remember what holds the shaft into the gearbox, so some prudence would be advised. I am amazed at all you are doing while on a mooring. Good luck!
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

The anchor is already out so the windlass has to be functioning otherwise we cannot get it up. We roped the anchor snubber to a cleat while windlass disassembled. Nice and calm.

The lower clutch plate moves freely sideways back and forth on the shaft. Key in key way is free to move. We think the replacement circlip underneath has bitten into the clutch's metal preventing it being lifted up.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

If the clutch is free on the shaft , try cleaning the shaft above to shiny metal , use fine sand paper. Will it move up and down slightly? It doesn’t take much to bind the movement.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

So Rick at GM says to use crowbars and if that does not work, then cut the lower clutch plate off. So it can stay on for now.

Last week I began the process of changing the oil in the windlass gearbox. Not helped by a rounded lower sump plug from a previous owner and cramped space with little leverage. A new set of bolt extractor sockets eventually solved the problem.

The oil must be 30 years old. It has some water in it but has turned to glug. After draining for one hour, the sump is still 3/4 full but its just slowly oooozing out. I've poked in the hole and its like treacle.

Does anyone have an idea how to approach to cleaning and getting the glug out of the gearbox? There are upper and lower sump plugs (like filling an outboard's lower gearbox.)

I could get two hosetails and connect up a circulating pump with some type of oil sump cleaner mixed with new oil. Then drain and refill with new oil.

I thought this might be a simple job, but its going to take 3 weeks or more.

gm.JPG
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 10-27-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Maybe circulate some mineral spirits.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post

I thought this might be a simple job
    HAH! One in ten, maybe. Some are "OK" and then there's the ones that keep you awake at night.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

You do know that the lower clutch plate with the springs has a set screw in it, right?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hi Sky,

An upper plate has the set screw and springs. There is no set screw in the bottom plate.... only the keyway. Just odd it will not lift off.

++++++++++

So I spoke to a man today who has made his career in helping his customer's solve their personal sludge problems.

The sludge man, Mr Jimmy, indicated that the sludge in an engine or gearbox needs heat to allow a chemical dispersant to work. As I explained to him, I am not going to heat and circulate any oil with my head and torso stuck horizontally in a small unvented anchor locker. He seemed to agree.

So the plan of attack is to use 25ml or 1 fluid oz of their oil sludge treatment (FOC) with as much new oil as possible. Over time and with some windlass use, the chemical will deteriorate the sludge to a more liquid form....perhaps a sludgee. I'll replace the oil again in a couple of months. The chemical does not hurt the gears.

www.costeffective.com.au
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.