Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Headliner Insulation

I'm wondering if anyone here has removed the headliner to insulate (or do other work) and replaced it. Is it just a matter of carefully removing staples and then re-stapling, or do you have to destroy it to get it out? My boat is a 1984 MY53, but I imagine that it is the same for many other models/years as well. I'm looking at doing the salon, galley, and master state room.
    Thanks!
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisù
    Harborview Marina, Baltimore, MD
    gondolaguy@gmail.com
    Liveaboard

Re: Headliner Insulation

I have taken small sections loose , very time consuming. Use stainless steel or monel staples to prevent rust . Hard to get tightened. You can use a heat gun ( carefully) , or a hair dryer to take out a small wrinkle.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

There is not enough lip left to grab and stretch. If you go to the trouble of removing it you would be better off replacing it. The ceiling has two layers of fiberglass and 2” of core which gives you a great insulation. This is just my opinion.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I would not expect to be able take down and then refit my headliner. My experience has been difficult just with small areas finding it to be fragile, probably due to age, as it would tear easily. I did some testing on heat sources to improve cooling performance here in Florida. What I found was that the cored deck was not a major cause of heat transfer. The glass in the saloon was the biggest issue in that area, but in the bellow deck areas it was caused buy air migrating from hull spaces into the living spaces. These hull spaces have little to no insulation.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I have replaced all of my headliner. Its probably easier and will look better if you just rip it down an start over.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI