Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1991 Hatteras 53 CPMY Head Venting System

I have a 1991 Hatteras 53 CPMY that I am looking for the Vent filter with the Head system. THere doesn't appear to be a vent filter, but I find that extremely hard to believe. Anybody have any advice or suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    PARTNERSHIP

Re: 1991 Hatteras 53 CPMY Head Venting System

I don't know about 53's or 91's, but my boat had none when I acquired her. I decided I needed vent filters and made my own filling PVC pipe with activated charcoal. The difference was absolutely underwhelming if not completely absent. I used to use the Noflex digester which liquifies well, but does little for odor since holding tanks need sufficient air inside to promote the process (I think you need to introduce way more air, and these tank vents won't do that.). Either way, the filters did nothing. But, glory hallelujah, AquaChem liquid use has eliminated all the downrange odor and liquified the solids.

Maybe this is some help.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks for your heads up. It is amazing that Hatteras didn't put an inline filter in the vent pipe.

I have the Big Orange charcoal filter and am also underwhelmed with its performance. I use a DIY mix for holding tank treatment. Its ammonia, pinesol and borax mixed with water. Between that and regular pump outs I have little to no odor from the vent.

Walt Hoover

it a 52 !!!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky you’re killin me! I had a lousy day and just laughed out loud when I read your post. I’m still laughing as I write this as I’ve seen the other posts. Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Sky you’re killin me! I had a lousy day and just laughed out loud when I read your post. I’m still laughing as I write this as I’ve seen the other posts. Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
    I just keep thinking that if anyone is searching this site for information, they at least need to have the right model listed for the search to work properly.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I installed a Dometec inline filter, available lots of places - works very well. No vent smell when flushing. Used to be able to clear the dock if tied up on the port side. The Admiral was impressed.

https://marinesan.com/eco-vent-filte...CABEgINf_D_BwE
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Don’t have one and will never add one. Yes they do cut the smell outside after a flush but all it take is for the tank to be full just once and the filter gets clogged solid causing a bunch of issues. Never again.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My vent is installed 7’ above the top of the tank. I don’t think I can overfill it that much.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"