Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which router?

Which router?

I am looking at a wifi router solution. This was recommended to me. Anyone have any experience or other solution that you are using for marina wifi?

MOFI4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 4G/LTE Router

ofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=189

Thanks

[h=3][/h]

Re: Which router?

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    I am looking at a wifi router solution. This was recommended to me. Anyone have any experience or other solution that you are using for marina wifi?
    [h=3][/h]

I use the Rouge Wave antenna for WiFi and it is connected to a standard nighthawk router (like you would use at home). It has performed very well at the marinas I have been at and I have even connected to hotspots a couple miles away, while on the river. Mind you, that means those hot spots were also using similar technology. But I have never had an issue anywhere in a marina reaching the marina's access point. At my marina I actually connect to a hotspot in town (the marina does not have WiFi). My home intenet (Spectrum) also has WiFi hotspots all over, and I use that.

The device you are showing has the additional capability of using cellular, though you would have to have a cellular account and a SIM card to enable that feature. I have thought about adding cellular, but my WiFi has been so solid there hasn't been a reason. And, the Rouge Wifi antenna can use my iPhone's cellular and works the same way. I have used it like that on the river before. But, if I wanted to add cellular, that unit you show is on my list, but with external antennas and not to replace my Rouge Wave antenna. I just don't think it can compete with the Rogue for distance.

In any event, this is the antenna...

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1563232

And this is the router...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...?skuId=1754208

But you can use any standard router from Best Buy or wherever.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 09-29-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Last 3 I installed were the wave wifi dual band with the stainless housing.

A bit more but worth it.

I also use wifi routers with POE. Forget the cheap stuff.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well, I clicked on the topic planning to recommend the Porter Cable, but I guess that won't help much.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I installed the RogueWave Pro (Stainless) WiFi radio and their MBR550 router this year. It’s working great and is easy to manage. It is a 10/100 router though. You may want to consider their newer MBR1200.

Chuck Bullett
    Chartmaker
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

Sorry just now seeing this The mofi is a good choice as stated before you can get a sim for it, however it also would alow you to just usb tether your cell phone to it when marina wifi is unavailable.

Tethering is slow

Problem with WiFi is that even with a booster like the Waves access can be spotty and slow. Many marina WiFi system isn’t just up to the job

Nothing beat cellular. It works at the dock and underway. We use a cradlepoint cell modem hooked up to a nighthawk. Covers the whole boat, high speed whether in the US or in the Bahamas. Haven’t used the wave EC-HP in 3 years
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Agreed, I'm not on the boat yet but have been running on a mofi7 with a unlimited sim for the last 7 months, I keep my cell phone on a different carrier as a backup that I can tether in if need, only had to use it once so far.

I will just second the Wave Wifi Rogue DB. It has worked well for us, attached to a normal home router. I took my old router, cut off the AC adapter and connected directly to 12V. It is real easy to configure with the Wave software, using my cell phone, and the router provides Wifi to our TV, Fusion head unit, tablets, etc.

When I have no wifi access available, I can connect the Rogue to my cellphone hotspot and share that connection with the boat, no problem.

I'm happy with this setup so far.

Good Luck,
    JCG

I use both the Rouge Wave Pro (pro worth the extra) attached to a standard NETGEAR router and 5g cell phone hot spot. When there is no WiFi, I connect to Rouge Wave to the HotSpot. We stream AppleTV, NetFlix, Prime etc...on WiFi and HotSpot. Its a winning combination in Florida and Bahamas. Note, in Bahamas we purchase a local data card for the Hot Spot and leverage a VPN back to the states for security purposes. The same goes for ANY public WiFi...use a VPN. .
    Best regards,
    --
    David