Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacing port light wing nut bolts

I have a broken bolt on a port light. I assume the pin comes out with a punch? I don’t want to damage/destroy the port light. Anyone have a good source for the bolts?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Replacing port light wing nut bolts

Do not use a pointed punch as it will spread the end of the pin and you will not get it out. (A stainless fitting shop will have same thickness stainless rod and you can buy a foot or so.)

If the pins are really stuck with corrosion and space is tight, then use a dremel with a mini metal cutting wheel. There is enough room to get the wheel between the hinges. The hinge pins are soft metal and cut easy. Then use a piece of the cut pin and a pair of pliers to press/push the rest of the pins from the hinges. Once you get a little out you can then twist the old pin out using the pliers.

The stainless shop will also have 316 bits to make an as good thread, washer and butterfly nut. I preferred 316 to the chrome over brass OEM part.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 09-29-2020 at 08:23 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I have been able to successfully remove many hatch roll pins with a punch. You just have to make sure you have the proper size punch and take it easy. Just did a couple last weekend and inserted new roll pins with same punch and procedure.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Just did this repair. One of our wings nuts had pretty much welded itself onto the bolt. Couldn't find the correct rounded head replacement bolt. We bought a regular bolt of the right length and simply ground the head of the bolt on a belt sander and drilled roll pin hole to match original.

*After fiddling with this nuisance we went back and cleaned every bolt thread on all the port windows. Brushed them with white vinegar, dried and then applied a little coat of sewing machine oil.
    Last edited by Blowncar; 09-30-2020 at 12:26 PM.

I checked Sam’s catalog and found they had most everything but the part you needed. I would contact Sam’s and ask if they could order some through Fuller brush. Fuller brush will not sell direct to the consumer anymore Sam’s is the only distributor.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I checked Sam’s catalog and found they had most everything but the part you needed. I would contact Sam’s and ask if they could order some through Fuller brush. Fuller brush will not sell direct to the consumer anymore Sam’s is the only distributor.
    And just because its not listed on this site, Sams may still have the part in stock. They don't list every part on the parts lookup page. You have to call them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI