Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shower Sumps

Re: Shower Sumps

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley_oasis View Post
    I once toyed with idea of small grey water tank but could not justify the benefit.
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I'm giving that some thought. 15 gallons and just hit the switch and pump out when you're done.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    plumb one of these in line and forget the sump. This is how it was done on my dad's 49 Gulfstar.https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2041398
    Probably the only reason would be when it fails; you’re out of luck. Can always find a way to evacuate a sump push come to shove.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

And it isn't going to pump the last hose worth of water.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I didn't recommend it. I'm just giving the OP an answer to the question.

I like the Hatteras solution to this issue. It also acts as another bilge pump should the water ever get that high.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I'm giving that some thought. 15 gallons and just hit the switch and pump out when you're done.
    My 1959 Matthews 42 had that set up. The tank was evacuated by a pump that could be switched with a lever to become a bilge pump. Genius.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Ive been using a jabsco diaphragm pump connected directly to my shower drain hose for over ten years now. There is an inline strainer before the pump. It turns on with the shower light. No issues so far. If there was a failure you could always let it drain to the forward bilge until repairs can be made. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    My 1959 Matthews 42 had that set up. The tank was evacuated by a pump that could be switched with a lever to become a bilge pump. Genius.
    Hmmm, interesting.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Ive been using a jabsco diaphragm pump connected directly to my shower drain hose for over ten years now. There is an inline strainer before the pump. It turns on with the shower light. No issues so far. If there was a failure you could always let it drain to the forward bilge until repairs can be made. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Walt Hoover
    Almost same thing here mine has been a Whale gulper 18 years now so almost long enough for me to say its the way to go!
    No strainer yuck something that has to be cleaned and not needed since the pump is made for this reason. I have a switch in the shower water builds up you turn it on, no water you turn it off. If it every dies disconnect it feed into bilge and shop vac it out when done but after 18 years I really don't worry about that anymore.
    No smell ever Wife would not live with anything stinky but maybe when the boat is a little older she's still only 53 years old.
    Last edited by 34Hatt; 09-29-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Does this grey water go overboard or to the holding tank ?

If the smell from the shower is offensive, why not just put a cover on it? If you make it out of wood or styrofoam it will float off in case of a flooded bilge to allow the sump pump to act as an additional bilge pump.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987