Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: counter rotating engines?

Lest we forget.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

On my 12v71ti, 1987, the port engine is CCW. And I only know this because the Delco 50mt starter motor is clearly marked "CCW"... I don't think there is any real difference between the engines... fuel pump maybe.. starter motor for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    On my 12v71ti, 1987, the port engine is CCW. And I only know this because the Delco 50mt starter motor is clearly marked "CCW"... I don't think there is any real difference between the engines... fuel pump maybe.. starter motor for sure.
    Wouldn’t you need a CCW starter to crank a CW motor?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The model numbers on the engines will tell you which is which. From my manual...

PORT: 70823300 = 7 (V71) 08 (8 Cylinders) 2 (Marine) 3 (CW) 3 (Turbo) 00 (Model)
    STBD: 70827300 = 7 (V71) 08 (8 Cylinders) 2 (Marine) 7 (CCW) 3 (Turbo) 00 (Model)

I don't think the transmissions alter the direction, but are designed for the power input direction.

http://engine.od.ua/ufiles/DETROIT-M...ial-number.pdf

Unknown.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

So I looked at the large unused pulleys on the front of the engines..... inboard rotation it is.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Wouldn’t you need a CCW starter to crank a CW motor?
    Heck, IDK, but when I overhauled that engine I put a LH, CCW fuel pump on it and it runs OK!

We had 6-71TIs in our '85 43' MY and they spun opposite each other with Capitol gears. They had different part numbers for all sorts of things like circulation pumps.
    Regards
    Dan

And cam shafts, I think? Alternators have integral fans but I don't think the direction of airflow matters. The geared fuel pressure pump before the injectors? The injectors themselves run off the camshaft so OK once the cams either go opposite or have different grind profiles. I'll have to think a little more on this.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

On the 6-71 I think the blocks and heads may have been different as well. Inspection covers were outboard side on each engine.
    Regards
    Dan

An old Italian friend of mine that had a 46 used to say the ccw engine always wears out first because it runs against nature.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present