Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nut case.....

Re: Nut case.....

I think I have a pitch gauge somewhere. DOH, should have thought of that. It's definitely not fine. To the eye they look the same. (Coarse) The 19mm idea is a distinct possibility.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Cheap vernier caliper. I use digital because my eyes are getting bad. Magnifying glass for eyes, count threads per inch, measure OD and look up thread spec. Hard to believe it is metric if boat has original Hynautic helm pump. My drawing shows 3/4 * 10 UNC
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley_oasis View Post
    Cheap vernier caliper. I use digital because my eyes are getting bad. Magnifying glass for eyes, count threads per inch, measure OD and look up thread spec. Hard to believe it is metric if boat has original Hynautic helm pump. My drawing shows 3/4 * 10 UNC
    That's what I thought.... and ordered. Doesn't fit though.....
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That's what I thought.... and ordered. Doesn't fit though.....
    I feel your pain, I have a boat from the old country which has British, metric, and standard threads. And that is before the piping sizes.
    Anyway as your old acorn nut fits shaft we can assume thread is good. So if it is 3/4 UNC then may be nut is just bad. As this thread is common test acorn nut on a 3/4 UNC bolt thread. If OD of thread is indeed 3/4 we can rule out metric as I do not believe there is a 19mm size, just 18mm or 20mm either side of 3/4.
    Can you ascertain how many threads per inch? this gives us at target. If you do not have caliper get some plain paper and wrap around thread pressing tightly to imprint. You can then count treads per inch. Paper allows using pencil to mark as you count, and just need good tape or rule to measure. May have to do some match if you do not have a full inch of thread.
    You could take original acorn nut to a distributor like Fastenal to confirm size. If you do check in advance because a lot of their locations only open to trade customers nowadays.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Brought the caliper with me..... 4 threads in .38-.4 inches would indicate a 10.

But.... putting my face on the spindle, and it being in just the right position i noticed all of the 4 the threads have a flat spot on it. So maybe some more persuasion, combined with some happy juice, is in order and see what happens. (Up to this point only used finger force) Or an investment in a thread chaser this size....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-27-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Proceeded as described above. Success! It is in fact 3/4"x10 Just needed a little "help". Hubcap is on.
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Glad you figured it out. That was a lot of posts for a little nut.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Glad you figured it out. That was a lot of posts for a little nut.
    What are you calling me?
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Ya know, it takes a big man to admit that the biggest problem on his boat is the nut behind the wheel.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Ya know, it takes a big man to admit that the biggest problem on his boat is the nut behind the wheel.
    You funny too......
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay