Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12 Point Alarm Error

Came down to the boat to find a 12 Point Alarm beeping.
    Checked everything and found nothing but dry bilges.

The Silence button will not work. At first if I taped it and used the silence a bit it would silence.
    If you hit test I get the for system light on 3 of 4. The bilge is not lighting up, in either system. If you hit test the alarm is louder and the silence will work durning the test.

Any ideas?
    How about stop this until I find out. What is power to the back of the alarm? Is there a wiring location other than the two boxes? Sounds like the box?

The alarm wiring that I have seen show the bilge Normally closed, but I also have read it is Normally open. Is the bilge NC or NO.

Thanks!!

Phil
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Re: 12 Point Alarm Error

As far as I know , everything is normally closed . This seems like a good idea , as a bad connection or a broken wire will turn it on and alert you to the problem. My boat has a fuse for the warning system in the battery disconnect boxes . It is marked , so it can be identified easily when you open the hinged panel.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Anyone have the 53 my fuse location?
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

If you have two alarm systems, one at the helm and one on the flybridge, check them both. Sometimes the test buttons can get stuck. Apply a little WD 40 and use a set of pliers if needed to loosen the buttons.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Thank you!

I had WD 40 on the helm but no surprise it was the fly that had gotten funky.
    My first passed on the fly worked long enough for me to get off the bridge. 2nd pass is holding. It seems like you are completely right, the test button is seemed to have dried out/corroded and was making partial contact.

thank you!
    much better then tracing ever sensor only to find them functional.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Congratulations that was a cheap and easy fix. We all leaned something from this post. This is why I read this forum everyday.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Had the same silence issue. I spray lubed it for a couple of years until that failed to work. Installed new silence switch from Sams. You can clip a horn wire if you need relief.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Sams has been out of the bulbs for a while but when they come in would it be wrong to cut and use telephone wire connectors instead of removing and re soldering the new wires to the terminal?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Sams has been out of the bulbs for a while but when they come in would it be wrong to cut and use telephone wire connectors instead of removing and re soldering the new wires to the terminal?
    I expect tinned wire’d be fine. I ain’t a real great solderer, but I managed to get a good bond to the terminals.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC