Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: WTB 50ish Convertible for Cruising

Every time a Sea Ray has pulled in next to me it’s caught fire. Always the power inlet on the boat.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

We are still in the Market if anyone is considering selling or knows of anything that might be coming available.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I think several of you here are aware we are in the market, but I thought I would throw it back out there if you should hear of or see something? Budget is up to 300 for the right boat in the right location. Three staterooms is a must. If you have shopping and or buying advise I am open to any and all of that also. Not in a super big hurry, but definitely ready to go on the right boat.

Thanks,
    Eddie Clemons
    615*479#6037
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I know where a 55 would be for sale for the right money lol
    Im not married to mine

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I have seen quite a few of the 52 Sea Ray’s in the Bahamas. Which I think is somewhat of a testimony to atleast a minimum of seaworthiness. In other words I don’t agree that that particular Sea Ray is not made for some ocean conditions such that could/would be encountered on a Bahamas cruise.
    Eh, seeing them in the bahamas really isn't saying much. Crossing on a nice day is like a ride down the cumberland. I know a guy who used to take his 15' tri-hull over to the bahamas on a regular basis from lauderdale. Minimum seaworthiness, yeah sure, I could buy that. But if you ever get in some real snot and things start pounding, and things start breaking......
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

As you age, rethink the convertible for cruising. They make great boats for cruising, but unless you have a lower station, you must climb up to the bridge.

And maybe you want to be away from the other half and enjoy peace, but it hurts the "social-ness" having to separate from the rest of the crew. And you gotta climb down to get a sandwich. On long trips at hull-speed on the rivers, a lower station closer to food/toilet is nice.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    As you age, rethink the convertible for cruising. They make great boats for cruising, but unless you have a lower station, you must climb up to the bridge.

And maybe you want to be away from the other half and enjoy peace, but it hurts the "social-ness" having to separate from the rest of the crew. And you gotta climb down to get a sandwich. On long trips at hull-speed on the rivers, a lower station closer to food/toilet is nice.
    Word(s) of the day: Knee arthroplasty. Seriously, we're all different, and there are a lot of boat differences. I've had 15 on the flybridge, and that's way more than can gather at most lower helms. And, you're probably gonna have to go below in either case to a head and most galleys. But, that's steps and not a ladder and closer. But the one real true, undeniable, drawback of a convertible is your best friend--the one who loves you even when you forget an important date, the one you yearn to always have at your side, the one who'll always chase down your winged dove or waterfowl, the one who'll never complain about your snoring--can't be up top sharing the day with you.

IMG_1792.jpg

PS: Don't mention any of this to the cook.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have questioned my desire for a convertible over and over and it all comes down to the ascetics and the performance capabilities. I agree you should buy the boat that fits your needs, but I really don't need a boat at all. With that being said it will be a convertible because that's what I want to see with I go to the dock, and that's what I want to see when I look over my shoulder as I leave. Thanks,
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I have questioned my desire for a convertible over and over and it all comes down to the ascetics and the performance capabilities. I agree you should buy the boat that fits your needs, but I really don't need a boat at all. With that being said it will be a convertible because that's what I want to see with I go to the dock, and that's what I want to see when I look over my shoulder as I leave. Thanks,
    Totally agree with you on this. There are two kinds of boats that I love the lines of. Sportfish and old school speed boats. Since I need accommodations and I don’t have it in me to keep replacing blown engines (I have friends with these and know what the real deal is) so a Sportfish is the looker in my eye. Plus the layout works best for me. Need the cockpit down at water level. No offense to the MY guys. We all pick what we like.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I recall reading one time that if you can't walk away from your boat without looking back at her, you've got the right boat for you.

After thirty years with Blue Note, I still look back at her- sometimes I sit down and just stare at her for a few moments. So I've got the right boat.

I've seen quite a few nice MYs over the years, but none that did that for me. Not even Hatteras 53s, which are a favorite.

RAC, good point about the dog- I'd probably carry mine up to the bridge, which means a small to medium size canine pal...

I like to stand over on the other dock and look at my 42c. Its the one that looks like a body builder compared to the couch potatoes around me. All this being said I think I still have one more boat left in me but for sure it will be a sport fish. As said, no offence to the MY crowd.

Walt Hoover