Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WTB 50ish Convertible for Cruising

I think several of you here are aware we are in the market, but I thought I would throw it back out there if you should hear of or see something? Budget is up to 300 for the right boat in the right location. Three staterooms is a must. If you have shopping and or buying advise I am open to any and all of that also. Not in a super big hurry, but definitely ready to go on the right boat.

Thanks,
    Eddie Clemons
    615*479#6037
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 09-24-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: WTB 50ish Convertible for Cruising

Good luck with your search! Where are you located? What's your intended boating area?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Good luck with your search! Where are you located? What's your intended boating area?
    Cumberland River and Lakes of Tennessee for the next couple of years and then hopefully Great Lakes to Gulf Shores, after that who knows if we like it. Thanks for asking.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

you interested in a fixer upper 60 enclosed bridge? a buddy has one for sale in mississippi on the gulf coast
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    you interested in a fixer upper 60 enclosed bridge? a buddy has one for sale in mississippi on the gulf coast
    I am thinking a 54 would be as large as we want to go, and I would prefer to stay around the 16'4" beam of the 52.

No towers

I know where a 55 would be for sale for the right money lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    Cumberland River and Lakes of Tennessee for the next couple of years and then hopefully Great Lakes to Gulf Shores, after that who knows if we like it. Thanks for asking.
    I'd suggest looking north to the great lakes, there are quite a few freshwater hatts up there.

I know you were asking for a convertible specifically but I'm not sure that's going to be the best arrangement for you. That being said I'm not sure what would be, maybe some of the people with freshwater river/lakes cruising experience can chime in. I guess the biggest question is do you like to go fast? Or do you need to go fast? Seems like most of your time would be hull speed, which is terrible for big diesels.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

I'd suggest looking north to the great lakes, there are quite a few freshwater hatts up there.

I know you were asking for a convertible specifically but I'm not sure that's going to be the best arrangement for you. That being said I'm not sure what would be, maybe some of the people with freshwater river/lakes cruising experience can chime in. I guess the biggest question is do you like to go fast? Or do you need to go fast? Seems like most of your time would be hull speed, which is terrible for big diesels.
    All great points, and yes speed would be limited for the most part. Hull speed and some up on plane also. Most of the boats we have looked at are already being operated under 20knts regardless of location and ability. I could live with a really nice old Convertible with Naturals that just crawls along. I don't see me buying anything but a convertible unfortunately, its a ascetics thing and at this point nothing else has really excited me.

The boat that everyone here wants me in is a 48-52 SeaRay DB Sedan with QSM's. Who knows maybe I will save a little more, break down, and conform to masses.
    http://www.idealyachts.net/sea-ray-52-db-specs

Thanks for comments,
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 09-25-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    All great points, and yes speed would be limited for the most part. Hull speed and some up on plane also. Most of the boats we have looked at are already being operated under 20knts regardless of location and ability. I could live with a really nice old Convertible with Naturals that just crawls along. I don't see me buying anything but a convertible unfortunately, its a ascetics thing and at this point nothing else has really excited me.

The boat that everyone here wants me in is a 48-52 SeaRay DB Sedan with QSM's. Who knows maybe I will save a little more, break down, and conform to masses.
    http://www.idealyachts.net/sea-ray-52-db-specs

Thanks for comments,
    The SeaRay is definitely more of a lake/river boat for sure. Looking at just the weight alone. My 52c is somewhere north of 60k lbs in weight, that SeaRay is closer to 37k lbs.

I would NEVER dream of taking that SeaRay out into the gulf or open ocean water, it's just not made for those type of conditions (other than short day trips in calm weather). But rough water riding may not be necessary up there so you would just be lugging around the extra 30k lbs.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 11-17-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

The SeaRay is definitely more of a lake/river boat for sure. Looking at just the weight along. My 52c is somewhere north of 60k lbs in weight, that SeaRay is closer to 37k lbs.

I would NEVER dream of taking that SeaRay out into the gulf or open ocean water, it's just not made for those type of conditions (other than short day trips in calm weather). But rough water riding may not be necessary up there so you would just be lugging around the extra 30k lbs.

I have seen quite a few of the 52 Sea Ray’s in the Bahamas. Which I think is somewhat of a testimony to atleast a minimum of seaworthiness. In other words I don’t agree that that particular Sea Ray is not made for some ocean conditions such that could/would be encountered on a Bahamas cruise.