Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: New Fridg Going in 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you had cut up the old fridge, would the new one have fit without the the cutting of the stairs and cabinet trim?
    No, they were the same size without the doors.
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisł
    Harborview Marina, Baltimore, MD
    gondolaguy@gmail.com
    Liveaboard

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    You saw the way I cut it..... And if you remove the frame from the bottom first with the compressor on it that comes out as one piece and takes a lot of the weight with it in a small package.

Plan on cutting a freon line, throwing a towel on it so the oil doesn't fly everywhere and leaving the building for a few.

Yes, I know.....illegal. If you want to do it right have an HVAC tech come and evacuate the system. Or buy a pump and reservoir. (About as much as a new fridge).
    Also, I will get a rebate from the utility company to let them haul the old one away. But it has to be working.
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisł
    gondolaguy@gmail.com
    Liveaboard

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you had cut up the old fridge, would the new one have fit without the the cutting of the stairs and cabinet trim?
    In my case, yes. I went with a 16 CF fridge, replacing a 19 CF model. But the AC panel boats, unless you downsize, are too tight. My old fridge was working, I didn't want to waste it by cutting it up. After what it took, if I could go back, I would cut it up.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    After what it took, if I could go back, I would cut it up.
    I had the great fortune of mine dying on survey day. There was no choice, it had to come out and I suspect it came in through the roof with the generator so cutting it was the only solution. A few hours later it was dumpster food.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I had the great fortune of mine dying on survey day. There was no choice, it had to come out and I suspect it came in through the roof with the generator so cutting it was the only solution. A few hours later it was dumpster food.
    I thought of cutting a hole in the trunk cabin roof to get the new fridge in, but in the end, I'm glad that I went with the method that I did. It is much easier to patch the wooden parts back together than to re-do fiberglass and the head liner.
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisł
    gondolaguy@gmail.com
    Liveaboard

Quote Originally Posted by gondolaguy View Post
    I thought of cutting a hole in the trunk cabin roof to get the new fridge in, but in the end, I'm glad that I went with the method that I did. It is much easier to patch the wooden parts back together than to re-do fiberglass and the head liner.
    No (reasonable) amount of demolition would have gotten this monster down the stairs.....
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay