Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Fridg Going in 53MY

Got the new fridge on board and have the doors off. Unfortunately it is just a tiny bit too big to squeeze past the AC panel next to the stairs. I anticipated that and got an oscillating multi tool so that I could remove part of it without hacking it up too much. So far so good. The fridge is an LG 21 cf side-by-side counter depth unit which was the only one I could find for a reasonable price that wasn't tiny. I'll update later when I get it all done.
    Attached Images
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisù
    Harborview Marina, Baltimore, MD
    gondolaguy@gmail.com
    Liveaboard

Re: New Fridg Going in 53MY

Many here will be following this. That side AC panel is a pain when it comes to refrigerators.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

If that panel was easy to pull I would have a new fridge too. I couldn’t find any way to pull that trim out and really don’t want to cut it. I hope to have found the perfect fit fridge before my spring launch next season so the marina can forklift the swap in and out because it’s not really an easy task at my summer slip.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Your 1985 must be wider at the entrance than my 1979. with that trim taken off and the handrails taken off I’m up to about 25 1/2 inches. What width do you get with your trim off?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I also have a similar LG SbyS but mine just fit down there. Maybe the ED has just a little more room at the stairs.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I don't know if its still made, but our fisher paykel stainless fit down there. Several members have them, and there are old threads on it.
    supplies are likely covid challenged.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Opening on ED is about 2” larger than my 1979 53 MY
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The new fridge is all in. Boy, that was a lot more work than I had anticipated. I was making an assumption that the fridge that was in there wasn't original to the boat and/or that it had gone down the stairs when it was installed. I now believe that the original fridge was installed before the boat was finished. It took three attempts to cram it through the opening before getting the old one out.
    It turns out that the 24” depth of the fridge isn’t as much of a problem as the 36” width. There isn’t enough distance between the edge of the ceiling opening over the window and the corner that juts out next to the stairs. I had to cut that chunk of boat out (carefully). I can’t say enough good things about having the oscillating multi-tool to make all of these very fine precision cuts. That was a life saver. I got that section out for the second attempt and it got pinched again between that corner of the ceiling, the back of the settee and the top stair, but just by the thickness of the carpet and subfloor. So we extracted it again (shout-out to Troy at Harborview Marina for being so patient and helpful), and I stripped back the carpet and cut out a small section of the subfloor. This time it just barely squeaked through. Out with the old, in with the new.
    The next problem was getting the hinges to fit under the cabinet. Again, the multi-tool saved the day. It allows you to make plunge cuts very precisely, and so I mortised out a couple of sockets in the cabinet for the hinges to slide into. The doors on this new fridge are very thick, and require about an inch on the side for them to open, so I had to take that into account when deciding on the exact placement of the fridge (and those mortises).
    I still have to cut the cabinet doors down and reinstall them, but that won’t be too hard. I used strips of ¼” plywood on the inside of the electrical panel frame to reinstall those pieces. I refastened the piece of subfloor and stair riser that I removed, then replaced the carpet. I replaced the piece next to the stair that was removed and put a couple of screws in through the engine room to hold it in place. Everything can be removed again by unscrewing the next time that the fridge needs to be replaced. Your welcome to whomever does that. It won’t be me.
    Now I just want to sit there and stare at the new fridge. I’ve never seen such a wonderful kitchen appliance.
    Attached Images
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisù
    gondolaguy@gmail.com
    Liveaboard

More photos:
    Attached Images
    Thom Price
    1984 Hatt 53 MY Tiramisù