Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Bilge Pumps and Float switches

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    The Rule switches used to have mercury in them and were just about bullet proof. When I was asked to replace a non working pump it was usually the crimp connectors that were the cause of a failure to operate. I haven’t opened one of the new switches to see how they work but, they aren’t near a durable as the old switches. I bought an ultra Jr. And got about a year out of it.
    If you used the Ultra connectors that come with the pump and send them back in still connected they will replace the switch under warranty if there are no issues with the crimp. I think they warrant them for life if you stick with the crimps that come on the switch. Also if there is fuel or oil in the water the ultras will not act right.

Thanks. That’s good to know. I did wash the engines down with super clean to get it ready to paint. That may have messed up the float switch

I got tired of replacing Rule switches several years ago and needed a stopgap so I stuck a Johnson Pumps float switch in it's place. No mercury, no microswitches, just a ball rolling around in the thing. Haven't had a single issue with it yet.

Eventually it's getting replaced with an Ultra because I want the high water alarm feature on the main pump, but the JP switch will get moved to the aft pump and stay there as long as it keeps working. So far, so good.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Just ordered the ultra Junior. Hopefully this lasts. I have Detroits that literally run 10 hours straight a day. Pretty much impossible to keep oil out of the water. Hopefully the Ultras are better than the rules. Actually, anything is better than a rule switch so I will pretty much try anything at this point. Ordered it on Amazon, should have it within a couple of days and will be installing imediately.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

If you put those white or gray diapers under the engines it will help some, catching the oil. Won't get every trace of it, but it will help.

I thought the Ultra switches were just about how high the float went up. I didn't know they were affected by oil or fuel in teh water.

I have had a couple of occasions when the ultra didn't do right. Once was on a 60 Hat that had a busted steering line. Once we got the fluid out and cleaned the switch it worked fine again. If I remember right the pump ran non stop. FWIW I also have one of those square Rule ones that is enclosed in my ER sump. It sometimes hangs up when I wash things down and the water is slick.