Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bilge Pumps and Float switches

Hello. Looking for commercial grade 12V Bilge Pumps and float switches. These Rule products are GARBAGE. I'm on my 2nd float switch in the same compartment within a few week period.
    This is a charter boat that is out 7 days a week. Cost is not a factor. Quality is. These Rule products are made for Sea Rays and Bayliners.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Re: Bilge Pumps and Float switches

Their pumps are pretty good especially the manual non electronic larger models. the switches are crap. Best switches are the Ultra switches. 3 times the price but worth it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I second the ultra float switches. It seemed like every time I turned around I was changing or re-changing a float switch or bilge pump. Since i changed everything over to the ultra or the ultra junior (knock on wood) I have not had a single bilge pump or float switch failure and that's been over a year ago.

They are expensive, but totally worth it. I know I spent more on burned out 32v bilge pumps and what a pita to replace or work on a bilge pump or float switch. Bite the bullet, do it, you will NOT regret it.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Exclamation Re: Bilge Pumps and Float switches

Third on the Ultra switches, replaced all 6 pumps and switches in 2001 when converting from 32v to 24 volt, no failures yet.
    My CC has 4 of them that are only 17 years old with no failures........

Hard to imagine how much $$$$$$ are wasted on the Rule float switches every year, and how many boats sink a year because of them.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

And I'm not disputing anything anyone has said. I've owned Aslan for 5-1/2 years, and I've replaced two Rule float switches in two locations. I've not replaced any of my 32V Rule bilge pumps for failure. There's no telling how old they might be, but they all work. I can't explain my good fortune with the floats other than to note dry bilges are a priority with me; fewer cycles can't be bad. I'm also thinking I'm not digging any deeper on the subject until 2021.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I've replaced 4 of my 5 float switches with Ultra switches. What I like about the old switches is that you can just pull the float up to test power to and functionality of the pump.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Ultra is the only way to go. Make sure you get the right voltage switch. I had a 32volt one and it didnt work on a 12 volt boat. I didnt remember they had different voltage. I felt sort of dumb after a call to their owner for warranty. You will be limited on your selection of brand for 32volt bilge pumps or anything for that matter.

Johnson pumps seem pretty good, so far. Also fit on a Rule base...

The Rule switches used to have mercury in them and were just about bullet proof. When I was asked to replace a non working pump it was usually the crimp connectors that were the cause of a failure to operate. I haven’t opened one of the new switches to see how they work but, they aren’t near a durable as the old switches. I bought an ultra Jr. And got about a year out of it.

Had a Rule switch fail closed and flatten the batteries on my bay boat; now use only Ultras, never a problem. I use Rule Gold pumps. Don’t really know if they’re worth the extra few bucks, but I’ve never had one fail.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL