Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1971 38' Hatteras Convertible "Top Hatt" Stuart/ Okeechobee Fl.

Anyone know any history or other information on this boat. The boat has been restored and the pictures look really good. I have seen some bad reviews from people who have looked at the boat but nothing specific. Just trying to gather some information before making a long trip to see it.

Thanks in advance

Re: 1971 38' Hatteras Convertible "Top Hatt" Stuart/ Okeechobee Fl.

I saw your post on boatdiesel.com. IMO those engines are at too steep an incline. All the Hatteras repowers I have seen including my own utilize a down angle gear. These engines look like they at the same angle as the shaft. But they may be 12 degrees or less since Cummins had to certify installation to start warranty.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Or cummins didn't sign off on the installation.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Where's the ad, I could not find it.

These galley-in-the-salon earlyk 38s weren't popular boats. I don't think they sold very many of them. This one looks better on the inside than the outside. I'm surprised that they fitted QSBs at such a low hp rating for the common-rail B series Cummins. Then again, the original engines would have been 53 series DDs, most likely 8v53s, so she's probably lost some weight with the engine change.

For the person who actually likes this layout, which I think not many do, this might be a good boat, but I think the price is too high. And from what I can tell, it appears to need a paint job. Maybe that's the photos, not the paint.

Were I a prospective buyer, I'd certainly want to see the paperwork from Cummins putting the warranty in place. And possibly even call the Cummins dealer who signed off on the install.

I just can not zoom in enough nor does the pictures show much.
    What I can make out;
    The front motor mounts have failed. The stb Sherwont raw water pump is leaking.
    The original real motor mounts and I fear the same Detroit clutches are still in use.
    This may explain why no down angle on the install.
    I would question the final reduction ratio also.
    Cummins allows for rather tall install angled. The oil dip level must be adjusted per engine angle.
    I don't understand a belt driven raw water pump.
    The oil filter remote attachment throws me off also.
    I fear this is a bus engine conversion. Seen it before.
    The engines serial numbers really needs to be investigated.
    With out a dealers POD, I would be cautious of these engines and install.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-21-2022 at 07:24 PM.

It's a cummins QSB. no doubt in my mind.

The waterpump is correct with the belts.

The filters look fine.

I'm not sure about the lack of risers or angle but I'd be questioning them. If it's anything close it's only marginally correct.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    These galley-in-the-salon earlyk 38s weren't popular boats. I don't think they sold very many of them. This one looks better on the inside than the outside. I'm surprised that they fitted QSBs at such a low hp rating for the common-rail B series Cummins. Then again, the original engines would have been 53 series DDs, most likely 8v53s, so she's probably lost some weight with the engine change.

For the person who actually likes this layout, which I think not many do, this might be a good boat, but I think the price is too high. And from what I can tell, it appears to need a paint job. Maybe that's the photos, not the paint.
    I also though the price was too much, but wasn't sure of what the true value should be. Everyone always ask much more than they would take. By the way, I'm pretty sure it is the paint. Out of all of the boats that I have looked at this past year, the pictures almost always look better than the actual boat does.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I just can not zoom in enough nor does the pictures show much.
    What I can make out;
    The front motor mounts have failed. The stb Sherwont raw water pump is leaking.
    The original real motor mounts and I fear the same Detroit clutches are still in use.
    This may explain why no down angle on the install.
    I would question the final reduction ratio also.
    Cummins allows for rather tall install angled. The oil dip level must be adjusted per engine angle.
    I don't understand a belt driven raw water pump.
    The oil filter remote attachment throws me off also.
    I fear this is a bus engine conversion. Seen it before.
    The engines serial numbers really needs to be investigated.
    With out a dealers POD, I would be cautious of these engines and install.
    Wow, excellent observations, and advice. Most of these faults in the pics, I did not see until you pointed them out.