Hi all,

Amazing wealth of knowledge on here, slowly digesting the lot of it.

I'm investigating options for a long-range capable vessel that has a competent sportfishing cockpit. I like everything about the sportfishers with both open and closed bridges and towers.

I am looking to utilize a vessel in the south/central pacific out of Fiji with a pathway to light commercial use. So there could be a justification to repower. We would like to cruise out near the equator which tends to be good to fair weather more often than not.

1. The long range part: I'd like this vessel to be capable of 700nm one way with an economical speed of 9-12 knots possible. I don't need a high top end and willing to sacrifice, even 16-18 knots would be OK as a top end unless there is a compelling reason I need to be made aware of. I'd like to carry 2500G total supplemented by cockpit bladder. This is a lot more than I am going to need, however, it reduces the amount I may need to have on standby/purchase.
These voyages may be made 1 or twice per year, round trip, so it's only part of the equation.

2. Whilst we may be looking at just above trawler speeds, I do not want a trawler. The twin engine config for (redundancy at very worst) and the ability for sportfishing layout is very important to me. Whilst not on long range, this vessel may be used for "local" / shorter distance day fishing / diving / touring etc from a relatively modern port (think Fiji for example). Still, we do not need high speeds that the newer models are all about.

3. Are these models capable of such requirements with the right investment/planning?
My budget is around 250-300k for boat as is acquisition as I don't see the point in buying a slightly newer boat when engines are going to be my primary issue to deal with. Keeping in mind the performance I'm looking for, what kind of repower should I direct my investigation to? Am I totally heading down the wrong path or could I look to something like QSM-11 715hp x2. What to budget for repower - 150-200?k?

4. How much of published tank capacity is actually usable? I see mixed reports from 10% to 300G.

I'm well aware there will be other issues/systems to address and consultation with naval architects for carrying fuel/stabilization, however, this seems the best place to determine what path to further investigate and learn...