Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Post fresh water rinse....

You probably don't need to be going there. Don't you have a transmission coolant line that you can tap into?
    IMG_2126.jpg
    Here, I valved into the 1" hose headed to the ZF gear.

There, the freshwater, acid solution or whatever branches off with some introduced into the water line that heads to the gear (or it can go in the exit line). The pump is positive displacement meaning little to nothing will get past the impeller. Therefore, you don't need to close the seacock to flush. Exiting the gear, the water rejoins the flow in the pump's tailpiece and continues on to the dripless seals, intercoolers, fuel cooler, HE before heading out the raw water discharge into the shower head. It's important to use either bronze or SS fittings. When I tested this out a few years back, I grabbed a galvanized nipple. Replaced less than three months later, I noted dissimilar metal erosion. The bronze valve, SS Tee and new nip have remained perfect since.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The only cooling my transmission receives is the oil going through a heat exchanger in the bottom of the reservoir. (Under the raw water heat exchanger). There is no transmission coolant line.

Raw water path is as follows:

Strainer > pump > split then through the inter coolers shown in the picture > back together up a tube on the inboard side where the fuel cooler is a shroud around it > through the hot water heat exchanger in the reservoir on the front > down the outboard side > split and to the shower heads.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I see, from your video, where you went in the pump plate. I can only make out one discharge line, so I don't have a clear picture of what you have. Where do your dripless seals pickup their flow?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Yes going in the pump. Exit as in pic. I disconnected the two hoses from the showerheads, blocked one and connected the hose to the other. Dripless has a tap into the bottom of the heat exchanger. It's crimped with hose pinching pliers right after the tap.

The dousing you falsely accused me of earlier did in fact happen after that when I forgot to put the plug into the heat exchanger after scoping and turned on the pump. There is plenty of solution coming at the heat exchanger.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-23-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Yes going in the pump. Exit as in pic. I disconnected the two hoses from the showerheads, blocked one and connected the hose to the other. Dripless has a tap into the bottom of the heat exchanger. It's crimped with hose pinching pliers right after the tap.The dousing you falsely accused me of earlier did in fact happen after that when I forgot to put the plug into the heat exchanger after scoping and turned on the pump. There is plenty of solution coming at the heat exchanger.
    It wasn’t a false accusation. You were just slow to fulfill your destiny.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    It wasn’t a false accusation. You were just slow to fulfill your destiny.
    Spoken with the voice of experience.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay