Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Acid flush raw water system.....

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Turn off the pump, let the HE drain into bucket and then remove that plug that doused you and scope it.
    There was no dousing. Controlled flow into a suitable receptacle.

Finished the 90 minutes. Rinsed and scoped..... No noticeable difference....
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I see a good change from your original post. Shoot a pic of the inlet side of the intercooler and let's see how that's looking. Then I think you're done there. When's the last time the coolant was changed and the circuit flushed? If it's been years or you don't know and given your impeller change, that's the next step regardless of whether the raw water cleaning reduces your temps. Then on to t-stats if necessary.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I see a good change from your original post. Shoot a pic of the inlet side of the intercooler and let's see how that's looking. Then I think you're done there. When's the last time the coolant was changed and the circuit flushed? If it's been years or you don't know and given your impeller change, that's the next step regardless of whether the raw water cleaning reduces your temps. Then on to t-stats if necessary.
    Yes I'm gonna see if I can scope to the intercoolers..... Meanwhile I broke down and got the "real" stuff. I mean at $90/G it HAS to be awesome right? This is what it looks like after 4...(yes four) hours. I guess we're not gonna see shiny brass, but it looks pretty smooth to me. Not sure how much of the actual texture translates in the scope.
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Gonna give it one more hour then button it up and yes, will scope, or try to, the intercoolers.

Next the sweet water side. Only really want to drain it once so impeller and two thermostats. And a flush.

Here's that plan.....

Flush first..... Drain and fill with an automotive radiator flush then run to temperature so as to get the thermostats open. Sit the prescribed time then drain and rinse....

Open it all up and replace the impeller and thermostats.

Fill with the appropriate coolant.

On edit..... Book calls for a reverse flush after cleaning. Quite an involved procedure.....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-23-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Gonna give it one more hour then button it up and yes, will scope, or try to, the intercoolers.Next the sweet water side. Only really want to drain it once so impeller and two thermostats. And a flush.Here's that plan.....Flush first..... Drain and fill with an automotive radiator flush then run to temperature so as to get the thermostats open. Sit the prescribed time then drain and rinse....Open it all up and replace the impeller and thermostats.Fill with the appropriate coolant.On edit..... Book calls for a reverse flush after cleaning. Quite an involved procedure.....
    If you’re replacing the impeller on the coolant side you’re talking about rebuilding the water pump. Why all that work before you run it with clean raw water side. You’ll never know what was really wrong or what to do next time.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Also..... Book says the 180º thermostat works between 180 and 197. 210º max, 215º alarm.

This jives with the IR temps I was getting. I don't know which thermostats are in there. PO was a 9 knot man. Wonder if he had 180's in there. We won't know until I take them out. Replacements I've ordered are 170º
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

170 are the correct thermostats. Mine had 160 on one side and 170 on the other when I bought the boat. Like you said, you'll know once you get them out. And don't forget to order the seals.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    170 are the correct thermostats. Mine had 160 on one side and 170 on the other when I bought the boat. Like you said, you'll know once you get them out. And don't forget to order the seals.
    Since I have good records I may be able to find what's in there.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

If you’re replacing the impeller on the coolant side you’re talking about rebuilding the water pump. Why all that work before you run it with clean raw water side. You’ll never know what was really wrong or what to do next time.
    Yes, I just saw that. And since the pump is 900 hours old I am not too concerned about that. And no, not doing it now. I scoped the intercoolers, they are spotless. Buttoned it all up, dried the bilges. All that's left is the new impeller and cover and then it's test flight time. Doing that fresh in the am.

Based on results we move forward. I do need to make sure I have the right thermostats in there.

And, I am still not convinced the gauges are telling the truth. I have a new sender on order which is the model number of the one that's in there plus a "-D" for Double Stations. There's a possibility that whomever replaced the temp gauges on that side (they are not original) put a single gauge sender in there which would throw things off. A few more weeks till I get that. I also got a better IR gun and calibrated it. (Mix of ice and water, 32º)

Another benefit of my pre-raw water pump hose connection is that I can prime the raw water pump with it..... Still gonna soap it up nicely.

Nap time.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-24-2020 at 01:11 AM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Curious as to why not using the recommended blend of muratic that DD recommends in the manual?
    I never did answer this. Because that is NASTY stuff. It's effective in a lot less time, but I got plenty of time to work with a slower but less aggressive material. At some point I may take the thing out and dunk it in the nasty stuff.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-24-2020 at 01:12 AM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay